Remembered Today:

Soldiers died book versus CD

Coldstreamer

The example is 15791 Arthur Haydock

Soldiers died book - no rank is shown either

post-3871-1171742021.jpg

And from the Cd

post-3871-1171742117.jpg

Id asked Blackburn library twice to look him up as they have excellent ww1 newspapers and was amazed they didnt find anything - hardly suprising as he didnt live there

Why the differances ?? Ill have to check them all now :angry: (no annoyed smilies)

Id asked Blackburn library twice to look him up as they have excellent ww1 newspapers and was amazed they didnt find anything - hardly suprising as he didnt live there

Why the differances ?? Ill have to check them all now :angry: (no annoyed smilies)

Hi

If you're using version 2 of SDITGW, then there have been thousands of corrections/additions to the entries. This might be the case here. If not, then 'Houston, we have a problem!'

Regards

Ken

Im using the original version - do you have version 2 to check ?

Im using the original version - do you have version 2 to check ?

Yes Will do so now and report back.

Ken

thanks - its an interesting one -could be loads of info Im missing out on

thanks - its an interesting one -could be loads of info Im missing out on

Sorry it's taken so long - recently downloaded a mass of photos and the computer threw a tantrum!

Version two reads exactly the same as version one, so no obvious solution there. maybe worth contacting Naval & Military Press to see if any alterations (from the book version) were made prior to the release of CD version one.

Best of luck

Ken

Thanks for checking - Ive done a seperate post to see if any one can check Silverton war memorial - Ill also get his papers next time I go to London and see where he lived

Thanks for checking - Ive done a seperate post to see if any one can check Silverton war memorial - Ill also get his papers next time I go to London and see where he lived

Let me know how it works out - I'm fascinated now!

Regards

Ken

Another pal has very kindly offered to look on the memorial for me to try and solve this one - lets hope hes recorded on there

His papers make no mention to anywhere other than Blackburn

On the basis that SDGW is a transcript from the book and only that, the Silverton information is a mystery and presumably plain wrong.

I can imagine that the rank of Private was set up as a default in the database when it was compiled and when no rank is given, that is what was entered. Rather iffy but understandable.

The editor of the CDROM recently came onto the forum to praise another product - perhaps he would like to comment?

it looks like they picked up details from the next man on the list who was born and resided Silverton. I suppose depending on the scanning equipment, the lack of rank my have thrown them and somehow skipped onto next man but we need an expert.

Mick

I think I have the answer

Another pal looked on silverton war memorial for me to check , and hes not there, But there was a Haydon of the Coldstream Gds

And they are next to each other alphabetically so its almost certainly a typing error