Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

navy ab seaman

tonyblackpool

what do the stripe and bar represent , i know his ship the hms prins albert lsi[small]was rewarded the dsc,and the dso, in ww2, and what regiment was the groom in? regards tony

In the current(ish) unifrom, the chevron represents four years service. The qualifying period may have changed since WWI. His rank would normally be above the stripe, hence in its absence would be less than a Leading Seaman.

His rate badge is on the right arm which is obscured. I can't pick the ribbon bar either at that res.

Dave

In the current(ish) unifrom, the chevron represents four years service. The qualifying period may have changed since WWI. His rank would normally be above the stripe, hence in its absence would be less than a Leading Seaman.

His rate badge is on the right arm which is obscured. I can't pick the ribbon bar either at that res.

Dave

hi dave its my uncle i have his records he was a able seaman went in 1939 till 1946 i have a photo of him with a bosons whistle , in peace time is it a petty officer who would be a boson and a different rule in war time? and what is the stripe on is left arm for ? its just i am putting all his photos and records on dvd and cd

along with his ships , just trying to get it all correct ,cheers tony

Hi Tony

The Bosuns Call (whistle) was worn by the duty 'quartermaster' part of the gangway staff who assisted the chief of the watch who in turn run things for the officer of the watch. A lot of lads wore them for photographs, the chain loops look a lot nicer than a white lanyard

Dave.

Give my regards to B'pool (Ex Fleetwood Lad)

hi dave its my uncle i have his records he was a able seaman went in 1939 till 1946 i have a photo of him with a bosons whistle , in peace time is it a petty officer who would be a boson and a different rule in war time? and what is the stripe on is left arm for ? its just i am putting all his photos and records on dvd and cd

along with his ships , just trying to get it all correct ,cheers tony

The stripe (chevron) on his left arm indicates between four and eight years service.

The lack of a rank badge (fouled anchor for leading seaman, crossed anchors for petty officer) above the stripe ties in with Able Seaman as you have it. I don't think there would have been a different rule during war. So I would agree with the other Dave in that he was probably just wearing a 'bosun's call' as part of his Quatermaster duties or just for show in the photo you have! You can't really tell what his rate was unless you have a photo of his right arm or his records.

Dave

The stripe (chevron) on his left arm indicates between four and eight years service.

The lack of a rank badge (fouled anchor for leading seaman, crossed anchors for petty officer) above the stripe ties in with Able Seaman as you have it. I don't think there would have been a different rule during war. So I would agree with the other Dave in that he was probably just wearing a 'bosun's call' as part of his Quatermaster duties or just for show in the photo you have! You can't really tell what his rate was unless you have a photo of his right arm or his records.

Dave

cheers dave and fleetwood dave it makes life easy when one understands thanks again, tony

the bar could poss be a 39-45 star ribbon?

are you sure he was awarded the dsc and dso as they were only issued to officers, could he have got the dsm?

the bar could poss be a 39-45 star ribbon?

are you sure he was awarded the dsc and dso as they were only issued to officers, could he have got the dsm?

hi james ,no it was the ship that won the awards i was told a couple of years ago that the crew put there names in a hat to see who would receive it , info from a surviving crew member dont know for what medal,, i have only just found his medals ,1939-45 star,atlantic star, africa star ,italy star,defence ,and war medal 1939-45, i know his ship the hms prins albert was in Burma they landed troops Rangoon and kayak Pugh do you know what was required to win the Burma star ? regards tony

Hi Tony

One days service in a qualifying area. To gain the atlantic you had to do six months in a theatre to qualify for the 39-45 star and then a futher 6 months to qualify for the atlantic.

to qualify for the defence medal was 3 years home service, or 6 months over seas service whilst under fire in an area not covered by any campaign star.

Africa and italy were also 1 day in the area, did he qualify for the clasp for the africa star? and did he also get the france and germany clasp for the atlantic star?

If you write to the MOD they will still have his service details, with all his ships he served in, if you need help just PM me.

I can also give you an address to check his medal entitlement in case the clasps were lost or another medal was misplaced.

Kind Regards

James

Hi Tony

One days service in a qualifying area. To gain the atlantic you had to do six months in a theatre to qualify for the 39-45 star and then a futher 6 months to qualify for the atlantic.

to qualify for the defence medal was 3 years home service, or 6 months over seas service whilst under fire in an area not covered by any campaign star.

Africa and italy were also 1 day in the area, did he qualify for the clasp for the africa star? and did he also get the france and germany clasp for the atlantic star?

If you write to the MOD they will still have his service details, with all his ships he served in, if you need help just PM me.

I can also give you an address to check his medal entitlement in case the clasps were lost or another medal was misplaced.

Kind Regards

James

hi james, thanks for the info it seems billy was back in the uk in jan 8 1945 the prins albert went into rangoon in may 1945, so no burma star, at europa march 1945 he was a seaman [ps] on his records do you know what seaman [ps] stands for.regards tony

possible patrol service.

HMS Europa was the royal Navy Patrol service headquaters, they were in charge of mine sweeping and anti submarine,

if you have a cope of his service record could you email it over to me and i'll take a look at the ships and or shore establishments and see if i can find out anything for you.

what was his full number did it start LT/JX********?

Kind Regards

James

possible patrol service.

HMS Europa was the royal Navy Patrol service headquaters, they were in charge of mine sweeping and anti submarine,

if you have a cope of his service record could you email it over to me and i'll take a look at the ships and or shore establishments and see if i can find out anything for you.

what was his full number did it start LT/JX********?

Kind Regards

James

hi james, i have emailed part of records, his number was jx192749 lowstoft, portsmouth was crossed out on a christmas greeting 1943 his address was w f rodaway ab p/5x192759 hms prins albert , he only had the one ship i think. tony

Hi Tony

Just got them,

He served on 2 ships. The first when he was under the portsmouth Port division and that was HMS Prins Albert.

The 2nd was when he transfered to the Lowerstoft Port division and joined the RNPS, you can goolge royal navy patrol service or Harry Tates Navy loads of info out there. Whilst serving at Boscowen he was serving in Porhen or something similar, when i get home tonight i will dig out my reference books and find out for you.

Hence why he has (PS) after his rank.

A very nice group.

He didn't have a little badge with th emedals? if you google royal navy patrol service badge you will find a copy of it. It was awarded for 6 months active minesweeping.

I hope this helps

James

Hi Tony

Just got them,

He served on 2 ships. The first when he was under the portsmouth Port division and that was HMS Prins Albert.

The 2nd was when he transfered to the Lowerstoft Port division and joined the RNPS, you can goolge royal navy patrol service or Harry Tates Navy loads of info out there. Whilst serving at Boscowen he was serving in Porhen or something similar, when i get home tonight i will dig out my reference books and find out for you.

Hence why he has (PS) after his rank.

A very nice group.

He didn't have a little badge with th emedals? if you google royal navy patrol service badge you will find a copy of it. It was awarded for 6 months active minesweeping.

I hope this helps

James

cheers james, on looking again i can see porchen in brackets never new it was a ship,its dated 8th march 45 to 8th sep then 9th sep to 13 th nov from something broke.tv same ship, cannot understand why he would be transfered after all that time on the prins albert.great news anyway, tony

His 2 ships were

HMS Prins Albert which was a landing ship

HMS Porcher this was a trawler.

His Bases were

Royal Arthur Skegness TE former butlins camp

Ganges former boys training camp taken over for the war to train men based at shotley ipswich

Victory portsmouth barracks

Boscowen Portland base for A/S and M/S

Excellent whale islasnd TE portsmouth

Europa sparrows nest at lowestoft

Pembroke IV chatham accounting base

I hope this helps.

James

His 2 ships were

HMS Prins Albert which was a landing ship

HMS Porcher this was a trawler.

His Bases were

Royal Arthur Skegness TE former butlins camp

Ganges former boys training camp taken over for the war to train men based at shotley ipswich

Victory portsmouth barracks

Boscowen Portland base for A/S and M/S

Excellent whale islasnd TE portsmouth

Europa sparrows nest at lowestoft

Pembroke IV chatham accounting base

I hope this helps.

James

cheers james, great news, i still cannot understand why he left the prins albert after 3years on her ,was there any sort of ruling on time spent on a ship? regards tony

Ratings rarely spent their whole career on one ship. They often changed regularly; historically they signed on for a 'commission' and that would only be for a few years.

Ratings rarely spent their whole career on one ship. They often changed regularly; historically they signed on for a 'commission' and that would only be for a few years.

cheers and thanks for the info, tony