Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Pte Sam Andrews - Medal Card

sandymae

Hi,

I have posted on the Soldiers forum a number of times, and have had such help in piecing together the military life of Pte Samuel Andrews. He was KIA on 27th May 1918 I am wondering whether someone could decipher some of the MIC shown below.

This medal card gives information, some of which I have worked out (I think) - but what does the wording in the remarks column mean. I think it says 'undisposed of' in the brackets.

Would that mean they were never sent, or returned if they had been sent?

And CRV + 75/35 etc. Does that have a meaning?

This forum is such an education, I really appreciate reading all the posts. Thank you.

Sandra

MIC_Sam.doc

I cant read the MIC but the medal rolls might give some more info

I cant read the MIC but the medal rolls might give some more info

Hi Coldstreamer,

Please excuse my ignorance but what is a medal roll, and where can I see one?

Thanks,

Sandra

on the MIC there are references to the right of the type of medal issued

This reference is to the medal rolls - they are held at the NA, Kew

heres an example of the 14 star medal roll for the coldstream guards

post-3871-1171732059.jpg

Thank you very much.

Sandra

info on medal rolls can vary greatly - the star medal rolls for the CG are very good but the victory medal rolls dont tell you anything extra yet some regiments show battalion and transfer dates

Hi Sandra

I managed to blow up the MIC a bit. In front of " (undisposed of)" is " BWM + VM Retd" - which shows that the British War Medal and the Victory medal were returned (to the issuing office).

These were sent out in the early 1920's I believe, so it looks as if his next of kin had moved from where the army records showed them residing. The 1914-15 star must have been delivered, a few years earlier, with no problems.

Do you know anything about Pte Andrew's parents? If you have a full address you can search for them in the electoral rolls around this time. Or maybe in a Kellys or Gores directory. The local history/records office should be able to advise.

One strange thing is that the X next to Worc should indicate that the BWM and VM had this engraved on them; while the roll is a MGC roll. Maybe another member can enlightened us both on this.

As I understand it the MOD can only issue medals back as far as WW2, so I am sure the two returned medals have been melted down. I wonder if his next of kin got his Memorial Plaque?

Have you looked for his service papers at Kew? In my great uncle's papers he left all his possessions to his sweetheart, so she got his medals and ID disc. The plaque went to his mother, as this was granted to his next of kin. So when I said his next of kin had moved, this assumes he did not leave them to someone else.

Pete

ww1 campaign medals are issued to the unit you 1st served in theatre with - I have several medals named to Cold Gds who transferred to other unit as the war went on - most where wounded at some point and I guess therefore medically downgraded - others had special skills that could be utilizsed - ie ex miners being trans to the RE tunnelling Coys

Hi

Just noticed in the remarks:

It looks like CRV - 73/B 6 3/23 (ie 6 March 1923) /?49/ac?

Any chance of scanning just the remarks at as high a resolution as you can manage?

Pete

Thanks for the information Coldstreamer.

Hi

Just noticed in the remarks:

It looks like CRV - 73/B 6 3/23 (ie 6 March 1923) /?49/ac?

Any chance of scanning just the remarks at as high a resolution as you can manage?

Pete

Thanks for the information Coldstreamer.

Hi Pete L,

I have turned the card into negative and enlarged it, hope this comes off.

post-18659-1171751025.jpg

Adt (on the end of 2nd line) is usually short for Adjustment (as in the medals being returned for adjustment, usually correcting a stamping mistake.)

Steve.

Hi Pete L,

I have turned the card into negative and enlarged it, hope this comes off.

clever idea - give that pal a gong

Hi Sandra

I managed to blow up the MIC a bit. In front of " (undisposed of)" is " BWM + VM Retd" - which shows that the British War Medal and the Victory medal were returned (to the issuing office).

These were sent out in the early 1920's I believe, so it looks as if his next of kin had moved from where the army records showed them residing. The 1914-15 star must have been delivered, a few years earlier, with no problems.

Do you know anything about Pte Andrew's parents? If you have a full address you can search for them in the electoral rolls around this time. Or maybe in a Kellys or Gores directory. The local history/records office should be able to advise.

One strange thing is that the X next to Worc should indicate that the BWM and VM had this engraved on them; while the roll is a MGC roll. Maybe another member can enlightened us both on this.

As I understand it the MOD can only issue medals back as far as WW2, so I am sure the two returned medals have been melted down. I wonder if his next of kin got his Memorial Plaque?

Have you looked for his service papers at Kew? In my great uncle's papers he left all his possessions to his sweetheart, so she got his medals and ID disc. The plaque went to his mother, as this was granted to his next of kin. So when I said his next of kin had moved, this assumes he did not leave them to someone else.

Pete

Pete,

Pte Sam Andrews was brother to my father in law (d1972). Our family always assumed that Sam was single, we knew he was killed in France. Without boring you with detail, we have discovered that Sam was married, and that he and his wife had a son in August 1914. They lived at 1 Sheffield Villas, Aston Rd North, Birmingham.

Sam was born at Sutton Coldfield, joined the Worcs regiment, transferred to the Devons and then transferred again to MGC - he was KIA 27th May 1918 at the battle of Aisne. His parents lived at Coleshill Road, Castle Bromwich, his father died in 1910, mother stayed in the area. I think she lived at Timberley Cottage, CB. She died in 1940. It maybe that his wife received the 14/15 star when living at Aston. We are planning several forays to record offices in the midlands, and one to NA.

I have to say a tremendous thank you to members of this forum, they have been wonderful with all the information and we are extremely grateful for all their expertise,encouragement and interest. A truly marvellous group of people.

Sandra

• 2 weeks later...