Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Surgeon Barrett, Royal Navy, Gallipoli

oak

Pals,

A contemporary account records Surgeon Barrett, Royal Navy, from Cork, Ireland on board the 'River Clyde' during the landing at Sedh-el-Bahr on 25 April 1915. I'd be very grateful if any pal/s could suggest how I might go about finding out (1) His first name and (2) Further details about him.

Regards,

Philip

Philip,

I have the following piece of info on him from the 'Cork Examiner' -

(CE 4/6/1915) – CORKMAN IN THE DARDANELLES – SURGEON BARRETT, of HMS Newmarket, who has written a very interesting letter from the Dardanelles, published in yesterday’s issue of our paper. He is a son of Mr. P. Barrett, Cork.

I also have his photo from the same date - unfortunately, I don't think I have the 'very interesting letter' published in the Examiner of the 3/6/1915

Can send on the picture (scan of a microfilm copy) if you like?

Regards,

Jean

Thanks Martin,

He is mentioned in a contemporary book - "The Irish at the Front" - as being in the RN, but the RND or even RNAS possibility had occured to me, as men from both were on the 'River Clyde.' But the post from Jean would appear to confirm that he was in the RN.

May I assure Kate and yourself that the Norman Dewhust book is still safe. I've used it for the earlier part of the book I'm writing on the landing at V Beach/Sedh-el-Bahr. This covers the battalions leaving India, arriving in England and departing for the Mediterranean. I have, however, a bit to go before writing the story of the actual landing. So, your patience is greatly appreciated.

Thanks Jean,

It's great to meet a fellow Corkonian on the Forum. (I'm in exile in Dublin. We couldn't leave the capital city totally in the hands of the 'Dubs.' :D As a great consolation I have the honour to be a committee member of the Royal Dublin Fusiliers Association (RDFA). They're a great bunch, even though they weren't born in "Gods own County." :D) I love your picture of the Munster Cross at Ypres. I stood before it in 1998 with a group from the RDFA and I read out the name and details of a Cork casualty. My dulcet Cork accent was broadcast on RTE radio.)

My apologies for that aside to all Forum members not lucky enough to have been born in Cork :D

I would be very grateful for a copy of the picture. If you do happen to come up with a copy of the 'interesting letter' it would also be great. Otherwise I'll try one of the archives in Dublin. I'd close with a verse of "On the Banks", but the Forum doesn't have audio facilities, yet. (Note to non-Corkonians: "On the Banks of my own lovely Lee" is Cork's signature tune. The River Lee flows through this beautiful city.)

Regards,

Philip

I wonder if he is Royal Navay OR Royal Naval Division?

All the surgeons serving with the RND were Royal Navy. Those serving with the RND at Gallipoli were either in the RND HQ Staff, Battalion MOs or were in the three RND Field Ambulances. Surgeon Barrett was in none of those. He was probably loaned from one of HM Ships to the RIVER CLYDE to provide medical cover for the landings. The Navy List for 1915 will tell you to which ship(s) he was appointed.

Philip,

Scan of Surgeon Barrett is below, sorry but I don't have the 'interesting letter.'

Jean

Many thanks Horatio,

That's very interesting. I'd be grateful if any Pal with access to the 1915 Navy List would let me know if it gives information on Barrett. (We still don't have his first name.)

Jean,

Many thanks for the scan. I hadn't seen your post before I replied to your personal email.

Regards,

Philip

He is mentioned in a contemporary book - "The Irish at the Front"

Philip,

Sorry to trouble you with a mere Tipperaryman, but is there any mention of my Great Uncle, Maj-Gen Sir Thomas Yarr, RAMC in this book? He served in Gallipoli and Egypt.

I'm putting what info I've accumulated about him here:

M.T. Yarr

My apologies for that aside to all Forum members not lucky enough to have been born in Cork

Don't feel you have to apologise - not all of us could have been born in Dublin :-)

Arthur

I had a look in 'Surgery on Trestles' by R Campbell Begg, but the only Barrett it mentions is the commander of the 56th (Baluchi) Rifles. Anyway, the book is more about the RAMC than the Navy surgeons, so that was no surprise. But thought I'd check just in case.

Allie

Arthur,

Apologies for the delay in replying to your query. I've been away for a few days. Unfortunately I can't find any reference to Yarr in the -- non-indexed -- book. I'll keep him in mind and if I do find any mention of him I'll let you know.

Allie,

Thanks for that look-up.

Regards,

Philip

Arthur,

I can't find any reference to Yarr in the -- non-indexed -- book. I'll keep him in mind and if I do find any mention of him I'll let you know.

Philip

Thanks for trying, Philip.

Arthur