Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

sister florence compton basra cemetery

tom compton

hello pals. I was golng though a list of comptons who died in the war and i came across a nurse florence compton 65th british gen hospital queen alexandas nursing service age 29 died ;29.1.18 basra war cemetery .any one know anything about florence and how she died thank you tommy. :(

Hello Tommy

I have it recorded that Florence Crompton drowned in a launch accident with two other sisters, all commemorated at Basra War Cemetery but I have the date 15/1/18???

Sister Florence D`Oyly COMPTON. QAIMNS, Drowned 15/1/18

Sister Alice WELFORD. QAIMNS. Drowned 15/1/18

Sister - TINDALL QAIMNS. Drowned 15/1/18

Barbara

I have the three QAIMNS sisters listed with research about the 65th General Hospital so I will need to back track to see where the information came from.

Other members who research the nursing side more than I do may be able to tell you more but I will let you know what I find.

Barbara

hello compo i do know you i used to see you every week on the last of the summer wine .i see you may have a connection with the spencer family so you may be related to lady di .have you done any reseach on that ,i think i am related to frank spencer .all the best tommy. ps did you and nora batty ever get together .

by the way sue and barbara my great granddad blyton tristram 48thfoot was in the crimean war and was wounded in the neck in 1855 ? was scutari the only hospital in the crimen war .florence nightingale is my heroine and to think that my great ganddad way have been tended by florence is great .tommy

Nice pic Sue, she does look fool of empathy, I wonder if it was practiced for the patients. What is the medal, do you know?

Tom, the Spencer name is a traditional middle name for five generations and I did not want to be the one to break the run. So no relation to Di.

My Comptons originated as merchants and sometimes Mayors in Berwick on Tweed and as far as I can tell assumed the "prestigious" and Royalist name of Compton around the Restoration of the monarchy at the end of the Civil War, in the 1600's originally they spelled it Counton and if you say that in your best Berwicker accent you can approximate Compton. Scots pals will probably say nothing like it though!

Regards Bill

Nice pic Sue, she does look fool of empathy, I wonder if it was practiced for the patients. What is the medal, do you know?

Practised for the camera, rather than the patients, I should think. Not a medal as such - it's the service badge of Queen Alexandra's Imperial Military Nursing Service Reserve - her CWGC details have her just as QAIMNS, but she was Reserve rather than regular service.

Sue

Hello Tommy

I have it recorded that Florence Crompton drowned in a launch accident with two other sisters, all commemorated at Basra War Cemetery but I have the date 15/1/18???

Sister Florence D`Oyly COMPTON. QAIMNS, Drowned 15/1/18

Sister Alice WELFORD. QAIMNS. Drowned 15/1/18

Sister - TINDALL QAIMNS. Drowned 15/1/18

Barbara

Barbara, I think that there was a fourth nurse - Florence Mary Faithfull, V.A.D. All four women are buried next to each other. I have a note that they drowned and I have been trying to find out how. Have you any details of the launch and the circumstances of their drowning?

jim \ barbara i was wondering if nurses and vads had a difference social standing at that time and were not all lumped together f faithfull is the only vad out of the four .what do you think .tommy

• 2 weeks later...

I thought that I’d tie up the loose ends of this thread for those who have an interest in female casualties.

The Matron and 12 of the members of the female nursing staff of 65 General Hospital, were invited by the Officer Commanding Beit Naana Officers’ Hospital to spend the afternoon of 15th January 1918 at his unit, to meet his convalescent officers and have tea. They were transported by motor launch, but on the return journey they were involved in:

A collision at Basra, shortly after sunset, between a Steam Tug and a Motor Launch containing a party of Nurses on duty

Four members of the nursing staff [named above] died. Miss Tindall’s body was recovered around the time of the accident, her cause of death being:

Suffocation by submersion and skull fracture

while the other three were reported missing, presumed drowned. The body of Florence Compton was found on 29th January, and buried the same afternoon. The result of the Court of Enquiry was accidental death, due to:

An error of judgement on the part of the steersman of the launch.

Sue

Thanks Sue

I'm not sure where the information I've got came from, but as I only had the three QAIMNS sisters listed it may not be to do with the actual incident. If I do find it and there is more to add I will post for you, Tom and Jim.

Barbara

• 3 weeks later...
hello pals i forgot to ask are there any photos of the grave of nurse florence compton .thanks tom

Basra's a bit difficult at present but I hope to get one eventually.