Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

War Correspondents

Boreenatra

A search for 'correspondent' in the campaign medal index gives 30 names.

MIC

S

Simon......a strange coincidence. A friend who has been photographing Brompton Cemetery war graves had sent me this morning his pictures from there. About 2 mins before you replied I was looking at the unusual stone erected to Edward Frank Harrison by the officers and men of the Anti-Gas Department. Also mentioned on the stone is Noel Stuart Harrison. Although he was in the Oxford and Bucks L I , any chance Noel was in the "family business"

Regards Steve

Simon......a strange coincidence. A friend who has been photographing Brompton Cemetery war graves had sent me this morning his pictures from there. About 2 mins before you replied I was looking at the unusual stone erected to Edward Frank Harrison by the officers and men of the Anti-Gas Department. Also mentioned on the stone is Noel Stuart Harrison. Although he was in the Oxford and Bucks L I , any chance Noel was in the "family business"

Regards Steve

Steve

That is amazing! I have never seen the grave and did not know that his colleagues erected a stone for him, any chance of posting the photo? I am interested in him because he was a chemist who died as a result of inhaling gas while developing the Small Box Respirator, a real unsung hero. His son Noel died on the Somme in 1916.

regards

Simon

CWGC lists 27 War Correspondents who died in WW2.

These were regarded as one of the Recognised Civilian Organisations who qualified for war grave status if they died on duty and of a war cause.

The one you mention died with Orde Wingate in an air crash in Burma.

• 2 years later...

http://www.pharmj.com/pdf/treasures/pj_200...treasures08.pdf

Apparently NOT a war correspondent but it is a British professional's memorial tablet for Edward Frank Harrison the man you referred to above. Major figure in British anti-gas protective services throughout the war.

Have you checked the 1975 book "The First Casualty..." by Knightley where he certainly covers WWI. He includes several persons not mentioned in the Medcal Card Index at the National Archives at Kew.

John

Toronto

John

Thanks - E F Harrison was a red herring which Steve Boreenatra remarked on having seen my signature.

Simon