Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

1914-18 officers nurse

Guest Griff

Hi all, I am new to the forum and am hoping for some advise from all you experts out there.

After some geneology research and taking to family members it appears that my Great Aunt, Selina Birnie B: 1876 was a nurse in the Great War. As far as my father can recall she nursed officers in France. Her fiance, who was serving in the ranks in France was killed weeks before the end of the war and this was the main reason she dedicated her life to nursing, nursing privately in her home town of Liverpool after the war and until retirement.

Any information about how and were I can find any details of her service would be much appreciated.

Thanks

Griff

• 2 weeks later...

Griff

I took a look at WO372/2 at the NA just in case your subject had a Medal Index Card. The only Birnie quoted was a Private in the 4th Gordons so it is unlikely that Selina was in the Army Nursing Service. She may have been in the red Cross or some other civilian organisation,in which case i assume that she would not have qualified for service medals.

Might I suggest that you conatct Sue Light on the Forum. She appears to have a grewat knowledge of these things.

Best wishes

Sotonmate

• 1 year later...

Hi Griff

Was your Great aunt the daughter of Daniel Birnie and Annie Spurr. Sister Mary E, Cathrine and Brother James. If so we are related on the Spurr side and we have a lot of information to pass on which may be of interest to you.