Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Royal Army Veterinary Corps

Dee

After a totally unexpected contact from someone on Genes Connected, I have just found out that my Great Grandfather (my dad's mum's father) served in the Veterinary Corps and was discharged in 1915. I have seen previous forums that mention the Veterinary Corps, but how would I go about finding out more about them? My Great Grandfather, William Lewis Long, lived in or around Hanwell at the time I believe (he was there in the 1901 Census) and I would dearly love to try and track down anything in connection with this, as it is a side of the family that I have previously hit a blank on and did not think that we would get any farther with. It also looks now as though my dad has found more surviving relatives including an Aunt and several cousins (more than I could have ever hoped for). :D

Hi Dee,

I too have just found the beginning of a trail here. I will need to look into service records for the name 'Gearing' in the Veterinary Corps. All I know was he was wounded in France and then discharged.

If I happen upon any details I'll let you know.

Ryan

Hi Chris

Thanks for your info, I know I will have to research him @ PRO but I don't really do that without a confirmed DOB, which I won't know until I can get hold of a copy of his birth certificate. Reason being is that living over here in Shrops and working the hours I do, I would only be able to get to Kew for a day trip. As I have never been to the PRO before also, I have no idea at all where I am going or what I will need to do so wish to have as much to hand if and when I can get there.

Primarily I would like to know more generally about the Corps, were they just based in France or were there bases in the UK, that type of thing.

Ryan

It would be great if you do come across anything and I would be more than happy to contribute towards anything you do find. As mentioned above I know nothing more than I have already posted but I am becoming quite excited at the thought of finally tracing my tree this way, especially as it now has a link with The Great War (I do have a tendancy to get excited and would more than likely be the one to stand up and shout yippee, in a quiet room, at finding anything :D )

Kind regards

Dee

The Royal Army Vetinary Corps is now part of the Army Medical Services along with the Royal Army Dental Corps, Queen Alexandra's Royal Army Nursing Corps and Royal Army Medical Corps.

The AMS museum is at Keogh Barracks just outside Aldershot

Tim