Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

1914/15 Star recipients

RMF

Does anyone know if there was a material incidence of soldiers who were entitled to receive the 1914-15 Star, not being granted this service medal? A prominent case of an individual, who apparently did not receive the 1914-15 Star to which he was entitled, until applied for by his widow in 1930, is Lieutenant Colonel William Barker, V.C., D.S.O. and Bar, M.C. and Two Bars; who is Canada's most decorated soldier.

One of my great uncles joined up underage, in 1914, was gassed and suffered a bullet wound in his lower leg. He required treatment at home for the gas, and was discharged when his real age was revealed.

When he was old enough he was re-called and was awarded a wound stripe, he was killed on 21 March 1918. His medal entitlement didn't include the 1915 Star, and when asked why, the authorities said that as he had been underage when he joined up he wasn't entitled to it; yet they awarded him the wound stripe :huh:

• 2 weeks later...
regarding lees last post, is a wound stripe on the left lower sleeve, stripe pointing upwards? regards sean

Are these examples of wound stripes?

Regards

Richard

post-23-1071724124.jpg

Those stripes denote efficient service. From memory, I think one you got one stripe for two years and two after six.

I know of one instance where someone enlisted under age, served in France in 1915, was discharged and called up when of age and then discharged again as a result of wounds. He received two sets of medals: a 1914/15 trio and then a BWM/VM pair. He didn't return them.

Cheers,

Jim

Hi Richard.

The Australian soldier on the right is wearing 2 wound stripes. These are the embroidered stitched type. There were others that attached with split pins and were made of brass (they were of the same shape and size).

You have illustrated examples of the Long Service / Good Conduct stripe.

1= 2 years.

2= 6 years.

3= 12 years.

4= 18 years.

Cheers.

John.

post-23-1071742912.jpg

To go back to the original question on the Star. I understand from previous postings that only officers had to claim their decorations. I have a long standing difficulty with about 20 men on the Regiment's Roll that I can't find either MIC or Roll information on. Some are probaby due to a change of number or initial but about a dozen I cannot reconcile at all. THe Regiment says they served overseas in a theatre of war but they seem not be be on the medal rolls. As these were soldiers and not officers they didn't have to claim and should have received them. Perhaps someone has an idea?

Than you very much for the information everyone.

Before this thread was started I did not know of either a wound stripe or a good conduct stripe, now I do.

Great stuff!

Regards

Richard

Those stripes denote efficient service.

No. These are "good conduct badges" and have little or nothing to do with efficiency [or indeed proficiency]. These latter are rewarded with cash money, whereas the GC Badge no longer carried money.

too much cucumber, David. :)

Would that I knew what this means. Should I be pleased, sorry, offended, grateful or whatever. As it is, I am currently Baffled of Baston [with cucumber]

Bob Y

You were trying to contact me off page but for some reason I couldn't reply by e mail to you. The men I can't find are listed on the nominal roll for overseas service and are all 14th Hussars.

Patrick