Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Lt.Col. JW Calden or JW Carden? 16th RWF?

Trebrys

I'm making an enquiry on behalf of someone who has read a scrap book collected by a Welshman who fought during the Great War.

In it are found the experiences of a group from Caernarfonshire and a Col. JW Calden who was killed whilst attacking a wood. Did this man exist?

I suspect it might be JW Carden who was killed whilst leading the 16th RWF on July 10 1916 at Mametz Wood, though I'm not altogether sure how a man of the 17th Lancers would be leading this particular battalion.

Would anyone be able to confirm or correct my assumption?

Lt Colonel Carden was:

Name: CARDEN, RONALD JAMES WALTER

Initials: R J W

Nationality: United Kingdom

Regiment/Service: 17th Lancers (Duke of Cambridge's Own)

Secondary Regiment: Royal Welsh Fusiliers

Secondary Unit Text: attd. 16th Bn.

Date of Death: 10/07/1916

Additional information: Son of the late Lt. Col. Sir F. W. Carden, 2nd Bart., and Lady Carden, of Stargroves, Newbury, Berks.

Casualty Type: Commonwealth War Dead

Grave/Memorial Reference: S. 22.

Cemetery: CARNOY MILITARY CEMETERY

Times 17-7-1916

post-6536-1171315385.jpg

Steve.

Many thanks gents!

I had thought it was him, but was just double checking before confirming it with my acquaintance.

Trebrys.

No real surprise in an officer of the 17th lancers commanding an infantry battalion: quite common, in fact. There was a huge shortage of experienced officers for the New Armies, and using Indian Army officers on leave, 'dug out' (i.e. retired) officers, or volunteers from cavalry units which weren't so pressed was extremely common.

Looking at your man's age (40), makes me wonder if he was a dug out - got his Majority in 1907, so possible he was on retired pay in 1914.

Promoted to Major - as in:

Lieutenancy, Captaincy, Majority.

Steve.

Re. the scrapbook.

All I know is that they're the musings of a J.W. Jones of Blaenau Ffestiniog about his experiences during the War. It talks of a group of men from the Bethesda area of Caernarfonshire complaining about gas and mud up to their armpits. It was here that the Col. JW Calden [sic] being killed is mentioned too.

The scrapbook can be found at the National Library of Wales in Aberystwyth and is written in Welsh, apparently. I have not seen the book.

• 11 years later...

Dear Ted1975,

Super group photo.

Kindest regards,

Kim.