Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Aircraft Mechanic 1st Class William H Allan DSM

eltoro1960

The reason I ask the question is that the DSM was issued to Naval personnel but he is clearly listed an as Air Mechanic, so did he serve on a ship, can you assist please.

post-12171-1171299644.jpg

Just as MMs & DCMs were given to Royal Flying Corps personnel as they were army, the RNAS were given naval awards.

Is an RNAS DSO listed at the start of this list? if so that might give a clue to why they were being honoured.

Thanks for the replies guys, I intend to download his record today.

Have this one posted in War in the Air and at Sea apolgies to `per ardua` who will have already seen this:

I downloaded the service summary and William enlisted on 11th October, 1916 for the duration.

He came under the 'wing' of President II at Crystal Palace and was there for a grand total of 8 days before moving to Wormwood Scrubs, he was stationed there between 20th October and 6th November before moving to Cranwell , now RAF presumably RNAS in those days.

He remained at Cranwell until 21st May,1917 when he was transferred to Christchurch where he was based until 10th June 1917. He then moved to what looks like Calshot from 11th June until 21st December,1917.

He appears to maybe have leave at this point and is posted to HMS Daedulus on 1st January,1918 until 31st March,1918 and discharged from the Navy to the RAF.

His DSM award of the 1st May,1918 is listed in notations in the margin, I have no idea what the rest mean:

post-12171-1171454876.jpg

Unfortunately I will not be able to access his RAF service record as I can't get to Kew

Wormwood Scrubs was the home of the tank experimental unit.

Cranwell, Lincolnshire - training establishment now RAF.

Calshot, Hampshire - seaplane station/base

Daedalus was the nominal depot ship for the RNAS to 1/4/18 (so it did not mean he was tied to one spot, it was like President II used as an admin base as well as the physical base). Just to be confusing it was also the seaplane school at Lee-on-Solent, opened 1917. If there are brackets after it, that was where he served probably at Calshot.

1/1/1918 Rated Acting Aircraft Mechanic 1st Class discussed in letter NP 354/18

Passed for Leading Mechanic 1/2/18 discussed in letter NP 7023/18

Thanks very much for your replies Fred and your much appreciated assistance at Kew. I went back to the first page of the Gazette entry and found this.

post-12171-1171667362.jpg

I will endeavour to transfer it all on to my website as soon as I can, ploughing my way through a huge amount of information at present.