Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Wonder if it still exists ?

montbrehain

Heres a pic that doesnt seem to be used very often ? its a pretty substantial trench in both width and depth. Have any forum members located it ? or even been near it ? Its hard to judge distances but with the sphinx in the distance it should be possible to locate it ? sorry pic on its way !!!

montbrehain

Yes indeed the trench that you mentioned does still exist

(parts of it)

Eris (the plummed goose) took me too it last April and if

you want more info I suggest that you contact Eric.

Peter

I take it you are both referring to the deep trench called the Big Sap ? I have tried several times to find remains of this but have failed. Have you any modern day photos that show whats left ?

post-1114-1171280397.jpg

modern yes ... but suitable for viewing ... especially the belly !!!

eric

ps : this is me -obviously- standing in the big sap. This stretch is located between the road and the beach just North of Canterbury Cemetery. A second stretch is still existing behind the cottages of the CWGC.

post-7070-1171291452.jpg

modern yes ... but suitable for viewing ... especially the belly !!!

eric

ps : this is me -obviously- standing in the big sap. This stretch is located between the road and the beach just North of Canterbury Cemetery. A second stretch is still existing behind the cottages of the CWGC.

Obviously you ... I hear it was big enough to take mules through it, so how come you are towering above it ?

Haha :D you identified the trench without me posting the pic of it !!! amazing !! anyway heres the pic I meant to post , sorry bout the delay "MO"post-13272-1171303118.jpg

Another by Bean that always gets me, Ian.

“Steadfast until death - just the men that Australians at home know them to be. Into the place with a joke; a dry, cynical Australian joke as often as not, holding fast through anything that man can imagine. They’re not heroes. They do not intend to be thought or spoken of as heroes. They’re just ordinary Australians, doing their particular work as their country would wish them to do it. And pray God, Australians in days to come will be worthy of them.”

and

"Not for fame or reward, not for place or for rank, not lured by ambition, or goaded by necessity, but in simple obedience to duty as they understood it, these men suffered all, sacrificed all, dared all.... and died."-

He certainly had a way with words.

Kim

Dear Steven,

I play for the Turkish national basketball team :D !!!!

No seriously : Not only was the trench more than two meters high but also two mules could PASS in it. It was deepened and enlarged in July by the Maori contengent in July in view of the August offensive.

Obviously it has eroded (depht) but the width is still there, at least 1,5 m.

post-7070-1171363818.jpg