Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

8th East Lancashire Regiment

jemm

Hi all,

Can anyone tell me please if these photographs are the 8th East Lancashire Regiment.

post-4696-1171211080.jpg

post-4696-1171211092.jpg

post-4696-1171211101.jpg

I cannot make out the badge properly but if it has 'A Sphinx upon a tablet Egypt above the rose of lancaster, within a laurel wreath, all ensigned with a crown - then yes. It should also have at the bottom East Lancashire. But East Lancs as all the Battalions in the Regiment would have had the same badge.

stevem

If they are Jemm they are some of the best I've seen.

What do you know about them? Do you have a relative who served with them?

I'd be very interested to find out.

Stephen

The attached photograph is taken from the book The East Lancashire Regiment 1855- 1958 by John Downham.

It is very similar to the first picture I posted. Which is why I think I thought the first picture I posted was the East Lancs as well. Im 99% certain the photo in the book was taken at the same time and in the same place albeit they look to have moved back a hut.

Yes I do have a relative who served with the 8th Stephen he was killed in Arras on April 28th 1917. I know very little about th epictures I came acrossd them in a book of other photographs we have at the museum I vounteer at. There is another that was with them and I think they are officers.

Ill go and see if I can enhance the scans :)

Jemm

What was your relative's name. I might just have a picture of him.

Stephen

OOps sorry forgot to add attachment, this is the picture from John Downhams Book, which looks very similar to the first one I uploaded this afternoon.

My ancestor was Pte 29119 Arthur Jones. Id be over the moon if you did have a photograph because I have searched everywhere for one of him. :)

post-4696-1171230104.jpg

• 1 year later...
  • 15 years later...
  • Admin
1 hour ago, Chris74 said:

Hi Stephen, you wouldn't have a picture of 16424 Thomas Gaskell by any chance?

Welcome to the GWF

@Stephen Barker is an active member of the forum and my tag should alert them to your post.

You can also use the Personal Message system just click on the member's name and open the dialog box 'Message' 

On 10/04/2024 at 15:00, Chris74 said:

Hi Stephen, you wouldn't have a picture of 16424 Thomas Gaskell by any chance?

He was also 8th East Lancs.

On 10/04/2024 at 16:53, kenf48 said:

Welcome to the GWF

@Stephen Barker is an active member of the forum and my tag should alert them to your post.

You can also use the Personal Message system just click on the member's name and open the dialog box 'Message' 

Thank's for your help.