Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Trench Map 'Great Wall of China'

rap1943

Would anyone have a map that can be scanned of what I believe was a communications trench called the 'Great Wall of China' and the surrounding area. I think near Zillibeke - time, Sept 1917.

Thanks

Bob

There is a rather ratty map with the June, 1916 diary of the 8th Canadian Infantry Brigade of this area. I believe one can see GREAT WALL winding through square 16. Perhaps it was in the same place as would be the following year.

May 1917...

post-357-1171090399.jpg

• 16 years later...

Has anyone ever come across a photo of the actual China Wall/Wall of China communication trench as described on this thread?  I've tried to locate something on GWF and the wider web and failed.  It seems odd that such a significant, and presumably well known feature wasn't photographed and tucked away somewhere.   Regards and thanks.

Here is an aerial from September 1918.

image.png.100145d2a81274ff96fcf97893954767.png

Thanks WSL.  That certainly puts it into perspective ........ a serious bit of Field Engineering!

There was another position called Chinese Wall (Chineze Wall in the RE WDs) south of the Vierstraat to Wyjtschate road. It was in square N 18 d.

See the 16 Div papers for the Ops 07/06/1917. There is a map in the WD of 47 Infantry Brigade but it is not marked.

The Zillebeke one is correct, I just posted this to avoid confusion.

Brian

29 minutes ago, brianmorris547 said:

The Zillebeke one is correct, I just posted this to avoid confusion.

TVM Brian.

I have cropped this map from the July 1917 WD of the Commander Royal Engineers 8 Div which shows the Wall of China. The 8 Div HQ GS papers refer to it as the China Wall. I will try and find out more.

TNA/Ancestry WO 95/1690

Brian

8 CRE 1690.jpg

There are two contemporary photographs of China Wall in Peter Barton's The Battlefields Of The First World War - The Unseen Panoramas Of The Western Front. The first is on pages 104-105 and shows the feature from the Allied side taken in a snowy January 1917, the second is on page 118 and is a German panorama taken from just south of the Menin Road. The feature is a breastwork as it crossed the low boggy ground between Hellfire Corner and the Perth (China Wall) CWGC cemetery which took its name. Both images are quite small in the book but may be searchable; the first photo is Second Army Panorama 101 and the second German Panorama G-8. I've done a quick search of the net and the IWM site but can't find either unfortunately.

Pete.

22 hours ago, brianmorris547 said:

I have cropped this map from the July 1917 WD of the Commander Royal Engineers 8 Div which shows the Wall of China. The 8 Div HQ GS papers refer to it as the China Wall. I will try and find out more.

TNA/Ancestry WO 95/1690

Brian

8 CRE 1690.jpg

TVM Brian.  That certainly shows the scale and significance of China Wall.  It must have been memorable feature to all those deployed forward of it.

2 hours ago, Fattyowls said:

There are two contemporary photographs of China Wall in Peter Barton's The Battlefields Of The First World War - The Unseen Panoramas Of The Western Front. The first is on pages 104-105 and shows the feature from the Allied side taken in a snowy January 1917, the second is on page 118 and is a German panorama taken from just south of the Menin Road. The feature is a breastwork as it crossed the low boggy ground between Hellfire Corner and the Perth (China Wall) CWGC cemetery which took its name. Both images are quite small in the book but may be searchable; the first photo is Second Army Panorama 101 and the second German Panorama G-8. I've done a quick search of the net and the IWM site but can't find either unfortunately.

Pete.

Thanks Pete.  That's a great steer.  I'll get onto tracking down a copy of  Barton's book. 

Edited by TullochArd

Just out of interest I've been trying to find out when the Wall was built and who built it. The WD of 101 Field Co (23 Div RE) 20/11/1916 records that work on the China Wall started. I do not know if this is when 101 FC started to work on an existing feature or started to build the wall from new. They took over from 7 FC Australian Engineers. The CRE WD does not help and 23 Div HQ just records that 0n 26/11/1916 I 16 d was shelled and mentions China Wall. 

Brian