Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Nurse killed by horse-drawn ambulance

Tony Brennan

Hi guys

I'm new to the post although I have been in contact privately with one or two members.

Trying to gather information on a nurse who was killed during a bombing raid in London, during the Great War. My father tells me that his sister was unloading wounded from a London Dock (not sure where) into a horse-drawn ambulance. Apparently, a bomb dropped nearby frightening the horse which reared up. His sister was impaled against a wall by a stretcher pole and was killed/died later ... not sure which.

I have written to London Hospitals which were around the docklands area at the time but have had no success. Does anyone think this plausable? Unfortunately, I do not know her surname but her first hame may have been Helene or Eileen. She was, by all accounts taken back to Jersey to be buried.

I understand that is where the family came from but he would never reveal what his true surname was, only that he went by the name Brennan.

Any information or evidence pointing to such a death in the nursing community during the Great War would be greatfully received.

Regards to all

Tony