Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Family medals found

ttd0

My Grandmother, aged 93, has just moved out of her house and into sheltered accomodation. She can still remember the Great War even though she was quite young at the time. Her 5 uncles all served with 1 being killed.

My father has been clearing out the old house and today he phoned me with the news that he has found two medals. These are a Victory Medal and WWII Defence Medal to one of the uncles in an original box! It was assumed that the medals from all the uncles had disappeared over the years. It would be fantastic if the others turned up!

Can't wait to get home from uni to examine them, already have all the Medal Index Cards for the uncles.

So...check your drawers, you don't know what you might turn up! :D

Tim

I did something similar recently and found a BWM and Victory pair in a box of family documents which I had kept in a cupboard for decades.

The pair were to a man from my mother's family whom I did not know. He turned out to be a great uncle of mine. Not knowing anything about him I casually checked the CWGC records to see if he survived or not and there he was.

Killed in the Salient in 1917 and his name is on the Menin Gate. I have been to the Gate many times and never knew he was there. I have rectified my ommission since and will visit him on every occasion now along with another great uncle on the Tyne Cot Memorial.