Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Army standards

Doug Lewis

I have seen on previous threads discussions around soldiers catogories in regards fitness and health.Thought this might be of use.

A.1- See to shoot or drive.Can undergo severe strain.Without defects of locomotion.With only minor (remediable) disabilities.

Can serve in any area in a theatre of war.

A.2 - See to shoot or drive.Can undergo severe strain.With slight defects of locomotion.With only minor (remediable) disabilities.

Can serve in any area in a theatre of war.

B.1 -See to shoot or drive.Can undergo considerable exertion,not involving severe strain.Without defects of locomotion.With moderate degree of disabilities.

Base or garrison service at home or abroad.

B.2- See to shoot or drive.Can undergo considerable exertion,not involving severe strain. With defects of locomotion.

B.3 - See for ordinary purposes.Can undergo severe strain without defects of locomotion.With only minor (remediable) disabilities.

Base or garrison at home or abroad.

B.4 - See for ordinary purposes.Can undergo severe strain.With slight defects of locomotion.With only minor (remediable) disabilities.

B.5 - See for ordinary purposes.Can undergo considerable exertion,not involving severe strain.With or without defects of locomotion.With moderate degree of disabilities.

C. - see for ordinary purposes.Unfitted for considerable exertion.With marked physical disabilities,or evidence of past disease.

Home service only.

D. - Temporarily unfit.

E.- Permanently unfit.

Regards Doug

Doug

Do not forget that these classifications were reviewed and altered several times during the war.

The demand for men to serve overseas meant that as the war progressed it was becoming more and more difficult to find men of a high enough category.

One example of the change was the classification distinction between B and C being abolished in October 1917.

The new B becoming

B. Not fit for general service, but fit for service at home (and overseas in case of men passed fit for service overseas):-

I. In field units (at home only) and in Garrison units or on duties of an analogous nature

II. In labour units, or on garrison or regimental outdoor employment

III. On sedentary work as clerks or storemen, batmen, cooks, orderlies, on sanitary duties, &c, or, if skilled tradesmen, at their trades.

Standards

Category B – Free from serious organic disease:

B (i) Able to march at least 5 miles, see to shoot with glasses and hear well

B (ii) Able to walk to and from work a distance not exceeding 5 miles, see and hear sufficiently for ordinary purposes.

B (iii) Only suitable for sedentary work or on such duties as storemen, batmen, cooks, orderlies, sanitary duties &c., Also, if skilled tradesmen, fit to work at their trades.

Ivor

Thanks for the information,my list was all i have, it gave a starting point to which you have added and that benefits everyone :D

Regards Doug

I have seen on previous threads discussions around soldiers catogories in regards fitness and health.Thought this might be of use.

Date and authority please, would help fit it into sequence.

Classifications of Personnel by Categories was not uniform. The BEF had its own classification system that related but was not the same as those used to Classify men and recruits in the UK.

GRO 2959 (15/12/17) Instituted the following for troops in France:

"A" Fit for General Service.

"B" (i) Fit for Garrison units, Divisonal Employement Coys, Area Employement (Garrison Guard) Coys,, Labour Coys employed at the front, NCOs as Perminent Staff of Reinforcement Camps and Conv Depots, Men in employement in lieu of RAMC Nursing or General Duty Ordelies and Stretcher Bearers on LoC.

"B" (ii) Fit for Labour units employed on the LoC or other duties of an analogous nature.

"B" (iii) Fit for Sedentary work as clerks, storemen, batman cooks, orderlies other than RAMC, Sanitary duties, or skilled tradesmen, at their trades.

"M.B." (Medical Board) Officers and other ranks sent from Hospitals and Conv. Depots to Medical Board Base Depots for classification under "A", "B" or "E".

"E" to be sent home for discharge as unfit for further service.

This system was in effect for the rest of the war.

Prior to Dec 1917, and continued use can be found after, was the use of the Classifications "P.B." (Perminant Base) "T.B." (Temporary Base) and "P.U." (perminently unfit). The classifications of GRO 2959 specifically stated that these would be discontinued.

Joe Sweeney

Langley

Unfortunetly I cannot give you date and authority.I was reading a copy of a war diary that I have and attached was a sheet with the information I posted. I remember someone posted a question asking about these catergories and as I said it Might be of use.

I knew that there were people on here with far more knowledge than myself and would correct or add to my information.

Regards Doug

Langley

Unfortunetly I cannot give you date and authority.

Fair does. I shall try to fit it in sequence and, if I make any sense, will report back.