Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Info about this airman, see photo's.

alex_a

Through a friend of the family I have come across these photographs that I thought might be of interest to members of this forum.

I am looking for any info on this man (in the group photo, front row, second from right).

In the original photograph, the name Fairchild can be just made out on the rudder, whether this is the name of the pilot I don't know but if any of you can offer info, as to the type of aircraft, approx. date, rank, etc, that would be great. From the uniform I would guess that he's RNAS, but the men in the group photo have RAF cap badges. I would be grateful for any help.

I have made the pics smaller to fit but I can enlarge them if you need more detail.

Alex :D

Fairchildaircraft0077.jpg

Fairchildgroup0074.jpg

Fairchilduniform0076.jpg

Alex,

I think the second photo is with an Armstrong-Whitworth Siskin, which would make it mid-1920s (I think it entered service in 1923?). You might get lucky, though, as we aren't too fussed about the occasional not-quite-WW1 query, and he may have served for several years before the photo!

Fairchild is almost certainly the first aeroplane's manufacturer. You might also want to try this lot for an answer:

http://forum.keypublishing.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=4

Not much help, I know, but good luck!

Adrian

Thanks guys.

I knew it was a long shot, but I still might be able to get the mans name.

If as you said, Charles, he's a Midshipman, then does that mean he's RNAS?, as they're all of the same man.

Once again, many thanks, if anyone else has anything to add that would be great.

Regards

Alex;)

• 2 weeks later...