Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

WW1 medal card question

magpie

hello,

on the TNA web site i have found my G. Grandfathers brother medal card but for my G. Grandfather there are 3 possible cards. I have been told there is no personal details on the cards so even if I was to get all 3 how would I find out which one was for my G. Grandad?

Jane

hello,

on the TNA web site i have found my G. Grandfathers brother medal card but for my G. Grandfather there are 3 possible cards. I have been told there is no personal details on the cards so even if I was to get all 3 how would I find out which one was for my G. Grandad?

Jane

hi jane , i had the same problem but a old photo turned up with my grandad in uniform, so i was able to find his regiment, but thats all i found i will have to go to kew and search, put the info you have on the three cards on site and see if anything turns up, did all three survive the war? tony

hello,

Jane

Jane

The only way that you will be able to identify the right man is by tying in the details on the MIC with his service record. Unfortunately due to enemy action during WW2 only approx 25-30% of these records now exist, and many of these are in pretty bad shape.

You could try to find an absent voters list for the area where he came from.

Andy

firstly what is his name?

second do you know where he was born, lived?

third parents names.

this leads to 1901 census.

this would give a possible hint as to regiment , of course may not but could seperate Hampsire from Yorkshire. may be a good chance he joined same regiment as brother.

presumably he survived? trouble with surviving we have little more to go on, actually easier if he died!!

this would give a possible hint as to regiment , of course may not but could seperate Hampsire from Yorkshire. may be a good chance he joined same regiment as brother.

Chaz

The problem with this approach is that it only produces supposition. For instance there is no reason why someone from Hampshire could not join the KOYLI or West Yorks, and vice versa.

Andy

If he survived try the Cwgc to see if this narrows it down

Steve

...trouble with surviving we have little more to go on, actually easier if he died!!

Though obviously not for Him!!! <_<

my point being, I know more about my grandfathers brothers (3 of the 4 that were killed) than my grandfather himself, he died in the winter of '63 when I was 4.

post-18837-1170880435.jpgpost-18837-1170880461.jpg

thank you for all the replys. My g. grandads name was George Harold Simons there are 3 medal cards for a George H. Simons, he was born in 1875 in Leicestershire but by WW1 he had come to Nottinghamshire. He would have been 39 when WW1 started, I think he was in the Boer War because he is on the 1891 census age 16 living at home then disappears till he marries my g. gran in 1906 and I have a box that opens out into a writing desk with his initials GHS on and the date 1895 inside which is a small red bible dated 1900 South Africa. His brothers were Arthur F, Frederick J, Walter P and William H. I have these two photos of men in uniform, I was told by my aunt that the first was my g.grandad in the Boer War but have since learnt from a very nice person on the family history forum that it looks more like a WW1 uniform and since it looks to young to be my g. grandad in WW1 I think it may be one of his younger brothers. I have another photo that I know Is my g.grandad which i got from my gran of him when he was working on the railway and that looks like the person in this second photo of the man on the horse on the back of this photo is written ' for Harold with love from Walter, March 1917'

Hello Magpie

I have tried to recolour your second photograph to secure a clearer picture of the cap badge but without much success:

post-859-1170881803.jpg

Unfortunately, the shot is too distant and cropping simply obscures the badge further.

From your three choices the driver for the RFA looks the better bet than the RGA Gunners.

Do you have a copy of the 1906 marriage certificate and were any further children born to the family between 1914-18?

Regards

Mel

Magpie

I have another photo that I know Is my g.grandad which i got from my gran of him when he was working on the railway and that looks like the person in this second photo of the man on the horse on the back of this photo is written ' for Harold with love from Walter, March 1917'

Doesn't the message suggest that the photo is of your gg uncle Walter given that it is from him?

regards

Mel

I have just checked the MICS for the other brothers:

Walter P RFA Driver

William H RFA Driver

Frederick J RFA Sergeant

The only exception is Arthur F DLI

Might suggest a RFA tradition within the family?

hello Mel

I have just had the magnifying glass on the original photo and I think the cap badge is the same as in the other photo, Royal Artillery but I couldn't swear to it. I have to admit I don't know the difference between the Field or the Garrison Artillery :unsure:

My g.grandad had two children both before WW1 (Frederick Sidney 1909 and James Harold 1906)

I have to say that I am not 100% sure that it is my g.grandad in the photo with the horse but it does look like the photo i know i have of him in a railway mans uniform but like you I can't work out why if it is my g. grandad his brother would have sent him a photo of himself. I can understand calling him Harold because all the men in that side of the family have the annoying habit of useing their second name instead of their first :rolleyes:

Hello Jane

Can I suggest that you start a new thread in the Soldiers section of the Forum with the fullest details in your opening post?

It is more likely to attract wider attention there with more contributors.

Regards

Mel