Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Harry Orton/RNAS

JacquiO

Hi,

I am trying to find out how I can obtain more information about my grandfather's service in the RNAS / RAF during WWI. Especially what squadron he may have served in.

His details are:

William Henry Orton (known as Harry Orton). born 24/02/1885, (although his RNAS record states 1884) in Salford, Lancs

RNVR number Y23344

RNAS number F28043

RAF number 228043 (was Leading Mechanic at this time but went on to become Sergeant)

He was awarded the British War Medal and the Victory Medal

His RNAS record states that he served at the following bases

President II 31/03/1917 to 01/04/1917

Cranwell 02/04/1917 to 04/07/1917

Calshot 05/07/1917 to 19/07/1917

Cherbourg 20/07/1917 to 31/12/1917

Daedalus 01/01/1918 to 31/03/1918

I have already had some very interesting information through my post RNAS Bases but wondered if anyone else may have more information about the RNAS and the above bases. I am lead to believe that 'Manicafan' may be able to add more information. Hope that you may be able to help should you read this post.

Best regards,

Jacqui

Hi,

I am trying to find out how I can obtain more information about my grandfather's service in the RNAS / RAF during WWI. Especially what squadron he may have served in.

His details are:

William Henry Orton (known as Harry Orton). born 24/02/1885, (although his RNAS record states 1884) in Salford, Lancs

RNVR number Y23344

RNAS number F28043

RAF number 228043 (was Leading Mechanic at this time but went on to become Sergeant)

He was awarded the British War Medal and the Victory Medal

His RNAS record states that he served at the following bases

President II 31/03/1917 to 01/04/1917

Cranwell 02/04/1917 to 04/07/1917

Calshot 05/07/1917 to 19/07/1917

Cherbourg 20/07/1917 to 31/12/1917

Daedalus 01/01/1918 to 31/03/1918

I have already had some very interesting information through my post RNAS Bases but wondered if anyone else may have more information about the RNAS and the above bases. I am lead to believe that 'Manicafan' may be able to add more information. Hope that you may be able to help should you read this post.

Best regards,

Jacqui

Hi Jacqi

I,ve just answered your query on your original post

Regards Duncan

The more I think about it the more attractive his posting in Cherbourg sounds. Hard & vital war work, fighting the elements and submarines; yet away from the front line and most senior officers. Conversely in easy reach of all the delights of Normandy: cider, food, madamaselles etc. What a contrast to the dark satanic mills of Salford.

Well yes I suppose it was a favourable posting considering what many others endured during WWI. I have just done my other grand-father (in law). It was quite distressing. Gallipoli, Egypt & The Western Front. He was very lucky to survive.

• 2 weeks later...

A good posting, but ending upin the drink was no fun in the English Channel!

You asked about which squadron he was with; the RNAS did not operate a rigid squadron structure like the RFC or RAF so it's harder to keep track of their units. Eventually (20/8/1918) the unit in Cherbourg became 243 Squadron part of 75 Wing 10 Group equipped with Short 184 and Wight SP. Commanding Officer Major CW Scott. Here's an example of what they were involved in, as shown by two machines:

Aircraft '9859 Wight "converted" tractor biplane seaplane 250-hp Eagle7 engine, delivered October 1917; Cherbourg by 12 October 17; petrol leak, forced landing in the Channel damaged under carriage on take off, landed Bembridge 30/11/17 ([pilot] Flight Sub Lieutenant CS Mossop [crew not recorded]); Dropped 100 pound (lb) bomb on Uboat 12 N of Cape La Hague 21/12/17 (pilot FSL T Eyre[crew not recorded]); Dropped 100 lb bomb on white Uboat 5005N 0100W 4/1/18 (FSL WBE Powell [crew not recorded]); Dropped 65 lb & 2x100 lb bombs on Uboat 5012N 0050W 25/1/18 (Flight Commander CW Scott & AM2 W Ward); became 414/5 Flights Cherbourg 25/5/1918 (in 243 Squadron from 20/8/18); Tailplane collapsed on take off crashed Port-en-Bessin 12/8/18 (FSL CS Mossop & Lieutenant RE Horton both killed).'

'9860 Wight seaplane delivered Cherbourg (via Calshot) 24/7/17; Dropped 2x100 lb bombs on UB32, sunk, 25miles NE of Cherbourg 18/8/17 (FSL CS Mossop awarded DSC & AM Ingledew awarded DSM); Dropped 3x100 lb bombs on Uboat 25m NE of Cherbourg 4/9/17 (FSL CS Mossop[crew not recorded]); Dropped 2 bombs on Uboat 7m S of St Catherine's then Engine failure, forced landing, abandoned, sank 6/12/17 (FSL CS Mossop and another [no name given] picked up by HMS P32.'

Quoted from Ray Sturtivant & Gordon Page Royal Navy Aircraft Serials and Numbers (Air Britain, Tonbridge. 1992)

Thanks for that information, how really interesting. Once again you have been so very helpful!

I am now beginning to build up a picture of what life may have been like for Harry during the war. He was apparently MIA twice and rescued from the sea, so although he was an aircraft engineer, I'm sure he must have gone up in the air as part of the crew on occasions. Who knows, maybe he was involved in the incidents that you have mentioned.

All the best, Jacqui

Glad to help!

Just like the squadron formations, in WWI there was not a rigid distinction between ground crew and air crew. In the above I forgot to spell out that AM (as in Ward) stood for Air Mechanic. Harry was from the engineering branch and if I remember correctly a fitter and so concerned with the engines. So a petrol leak would come in his remit! As you saw in what I copied, the officers were always mentioned, but the ratings rarely so it is possibly Harry was aboard for flights, but not credited, and the rescue by P32 sounds like it could have been one of the times that you family legend refers to. With a unit so small that it didn't evn get a designation before May 1918 it is probable that everyone took their turn, proving it is another matter!

Well I reckon we can only best guess at what happened to Harry but I don't think we are very far away from piecing together what may have happened to him in his time in the RNAS / RAF.

Amazing to think that I didn't even know what RNAS stood for before doing this research. The members of this forum have been such a great help.

Many thanks, Jacqui