Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Harry Patch Great War Veteran

Chris Foster

Harry Patch.

I remember being moved to tears when this great old gentleman talked about the loss of his mates at pilckem Ridge, and how he had never talked about the war for over 80 years.

Chris

post-16754-1170611156.jpg

A very moving drawing Chris.

You've certainly 'captured' Harry alright!

Thanks go to you.

Regards, Ivan

excellent...as always im impressed by your talent.

Mick

Great picture Chris

Those eyes have seen a lot

Andy

Richard Van Emden is bringing a book out on Harry Patch very shortly. I have no other details than that - perhaps Tom Morgan knows more?

Very very good. I often wish I had a real talent like that.

Arm

Richard Van Emden is bringing a book out on Harry Patch very shortly. I have no other details than that - perhaps Tom Morgan knows more?

I only know a little bit. It's going to be called The Last Fighting Tommy: The Life of Harry Patch, the Oldest Surviving Veteran of the Trenches and the authors are Harry Patch and Richard van Emden. Due out in hardback, July 2007.

Tom

Great picture Chris

Those eyes have seen a lot

Andy

True. If anyone has a copy of "Britain's Last Tommies", which has a picture of Harry Parch on the front cover, look very closely at his eyes........

Tom

A superb drawing and one which I could never even contemplate doing. I have great respect for those with artistic talent.

As for the book, it sounds very interesting and van Emden's work is always readable. Presumably it will be a "beefed up" version of the section on Patch's life in the Max Arthur book.

Isn't van Emden also working on interviewing those who, who whilst too young to fight or serve in any adult capacity, are old enough to have vivid memories of the period i.e. people of around the 100 mark?

Chris - that's simply grand!!! I've seen Harry in a DVD on the war talking very movingly about the war - just like it was last Thursday. Marvelous portrait! You captured not only his eyes but the set of his mouth and everything else. Well-observed as well as well drawn!

All the best,

Dan

True. If anyone has a copy of "Britain's Last Tommies", which has a picture of Harry Parch on the front cover, look very closely at his eyes........

Tom

couldnt agree more tom,the look in harry`s eyes says it all,when I saw the first signed copy on e bay I bid and won,it is one of my most treasured items

biff

Thank you everyone.

I agree with the comments about Harry's eyes its one reason why I wanted to draw him in the first place

Regards

Chris.

Chris

A superb drawing. Have you ever thought of making a print available for purchase? It is the sort of image that says so much and yet is so outwardly simple. I would certainly love to have one.

Hi Biff - look at his eyes with a magnifying glass........!

Tom

HI tom,thanks for that "spooky"will not let the cat outa the bag,will let others see what harry see`s

Chris,

absolutely brilliant!

Very well done.

Shelley :)