Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Error in card or medals wrongly stamped

Terry Carter

A friend at work brought his greatgrandfather's medal pair to show me. Pte A E Davis Royal Warwickshire Regt. The service number stamped on the medals is 40489. However the medal card index is not giving any results for that number. Howevever I am getting a medal index card for a Pte A E Davis 4089 which I think is correct because 40489 seems a strange service number for the Royal Warwicks.

Do you think the medals were stamped with an extra '4' by mistake?

Cheers

Terry

could be either - the medals where stamped from the medal roll - you could get that checked too

Errors are very very common thats why as you did you need to check number variations and name spellings. Errors include those from the online NA lists the original MIC may be correct. Differnces between Soldiers died CWGC and NA and so on .

if errors on medals where worth the same as stamps we'd all be millionaires this time next year...

There are other Warwickshire Numbers in the same range{ie:4048*}search MiC "4048*" often the card description states "incomplete" where the original card is illegible or damaged,so the number on the medals is quite possible.The Roll page,as mentioned above is probably the best route.