Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Help with service record please

nhclark

Can anyone help me with this service record please?

Obviously Walter had some discipinary problems towards the end of his service and did not serve out his time. What do the comments in the "Remarks" column mean? I take it that "Shotley" refers to the training establishment in Suffolk, but I'd welcome some help on "S.N.L.R." and any other of the abbreviations.

Thank you,

Noel

ServiceWalterWilliamWatcham_2_.pdf

Thanks Michael. I'd never have thought of that in a month of Sundays.

Pity, really, wasn't it? He'd gone into the Navy aged 15, and served on the Cornwallis at Gallipoli, then the Theseus, and later the Barham. A sad end.

Noel

Noel,

He had a couple of blips in his sevice, two stints in cells and two in detention. The first 28 days Detention was for abcence, the second 42 days was for insolence and SNLR applied for, on completion of that sentence he was discharged SNLR.

Regards Charles

A sentence of 28 days detention for absence means that he must have been on the borders of desertion. You have to go absent for a considerable period of time to merit that punishment. Clearly the Service had had quite enough of this man, who was probably not earning his pay. SNLR is usually reserved for men with a truly awful conduct record over time, or for one particularly heinous crime (e.g. theft from a shipmate). The former would appear to apply in this case. There was probably a long record of bad conduct. This does not appear on his service record because the offences were dealt with by his captain with a summary punishment, rather than by the punishment warrant which was required for the sentences of detention.