Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Munitions Workers - Aircraft Factories - Oldham

donnadunlop

:rolleyes:

I need some help and hope one of you may have some information no one else seems to.

My Grandfather, George Anderdown, was sent from Australia to work in Liverpool for Trollope & Colls. He was then transferred to Oldham and resided at 229 Denton Lane, Chadderton.

I am really trying to find out what my Grandfather was actually doing. He had to undergo a medical examination to be passed fit for heavy manual labour in Australia and was on Gang No. 4395 in Liverpool. A "gang" with a number in the thousands suggests more than a few men. There were thousands of fit young Australian men sent to England and having a reputation for being larikins, I would have thought they would have stood out like sore thumbs!

I have discovered that Trollope & Colls were:

A. Builders and converted their timber yard in Pleasant St, Liverpool into a factory where they made/assembled aircraft during WWI.

B. The Colls side of the business were possibly involved in civil engineering and reinforced concrete construction at this time (but don't know where).

I have contacted Skansa (formerly Trollope & Colls), Dept of Defence both in Aust and England who have nothing whatsoever. I have contacted Liverpool FH Association, Oldham and Chadderton Local Studies, and every other link that has come up on the net, plus put a notice in Oldham Chronicle Newspaper and checked out the A2A, aircraft societies, and many more places.

On the National Monuments site I found 4 photos of Trollope & Colls' aircraft factory and others involving War Workers in WWI - mainly women.

I have found a link to Trollope & Colls to a union strike in Oldham at the Hollingwood aircraft factory. This would sound logical to me. At this time the Hollingwood factory was assembling American aircraft. But this is all I can find out.

I want to confirm Trollope & Colls were involved there and if at all possible place my Grandfather there.

I am at my wits end. No one has any information. Oldham Local Studies know nothing about any war industries in their area whatsoever and can't offer any further advice.

I hope you are able to help me or advise where else I could try - you are my last hope. I seem to have tried everywhere else.

Thank you

Donna

I'm just down the road from Chadderton, and while I have no information on Trollope & Colls, I can tell you there is a BAE factory there which was formerly Avros. It's on Greengate, Chadderton.

Here's an aerial view of it: http://tinyurl.com/37b5vn

Also, it's Hollinwood, not Hollingwood. I don't know if this is a reference to the same site, as Hollinwood and Chadderton are right next to each other.

Sorry I can't be more help Donna.

Donna

I apologise in advance if I'm pointing out the obvious, but if you haven't been there, you might like to look at pages 266-276 of Volume XI of the Australian Official History, which has the story of the munitions workers sent to the UK. See http://awm.gov.au/cms_images/histories/12/chapters/07.pdf

If Trollope & Colls were manufacturing American aircraft, then they were probably Curtiss flying boats or Curtiss JN trainers, but I haven't come across the firm's name before. Perhaps they were subcontractors, rather than manufacturers.

Regards

Gareth

From the Autumn 1918 RAF Quarterly Survey of Stations

OLDHAM (Chadderton) ¼ mile from Moston railway station and 1 mile from Middleton railway station

101/109 : (34) SD 884039 : Lancashire (Greater Manchester) : 212 acres : 1100 x 1200 yards : 350 feet amsl.

Intended Aircraft Acceptance Park for the USAAS to test American built HP 0/400s that were to be assembled at Gorse Mill, Chadderton, and Lilac Mill, Shaw. The Armistice arrived before the station was fully operational.

Eight aeroplane sheds, 280 x 150 feet, plus six erecting shops, 500 x 120 feet.

I'm just down the road from Chadderton, and while I have no information on Trollope & Colls, I can tell you there is a BAE factory there which was formerly Avros. It's on Greengate, Chadderton.

Here's an aerial view of it: http://tinyurl.com/37b5vn

Also, it's Hollinwood, not Hollingwood. I don't know if this is a reference to the same site, as Hollinwood and Chadderton are right next to each other.

Sorry I can't be more help Donna.

Thank you very much for your reply, Mostonian. What does BAE stand for?

This factory looks massive in the aerial view. It must have employed lots of workers. This could possibly be where my Grandfather worked building the sheds. I will try to follow it up. Thanks again!

Donna :D

Dear Dolphin

Thank you for your reply. I have read these pages but they don't give any details on any companies or workers or in fact what industries the Aussies were involved in which is what I am after now. I will try using the aircraft names. Thanks. Donna

Thank you so much, Mick. This is very interesting. You would think that Oldham Local Studies would know something about this.

It has shed new light on the two "Mills". I didn't expect a mill to be involved in aircrafts. I will try to follow this up. Can I look through the RAF document on-line?

Thank you for the help.

Thank you so much, Mick. This is very interesting. You would think that Oldham Local Studies would know something about this.

It has shed new light on the two "Mills". I didn't expect a mill to be involved in aircrafts. I will try to follow this up. Can I look through the RAF document on-line?

Thank you for the help.

Unfortunately not. The National Archive doesn't provide that facility. The Autumn Survey is in their files AIR1/452 and AIR1/453.

• 8 months later...
Guest riverside