Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

What was your grandfather's job etc before & after the war ?

JOSTURM

My paternal grandfather was a printer in the family business before the war. He served with the RFA as a driver. He came back to England from Archangel in January of 1919 to find that his wife had died in the influenza epidemic, leaving him to bring up his two small sons. He re-joined the family firm and, a year or so later, married again. If it hadn't been for that 'flu epidemic I wouldn't be here; my father was a child of that second marriage.

My maternal grandfather was too young to serve, but his father, my great grandfather, also served in the RFA. He was a miner for the Chorley Colliery Co. before the war. He was wounded in the leg in July of 1916 on the Somme, eventually re-cassified as catagory "B" and discharged. After time spent in and out of hospital he returned to the mines, where he continued to work until the mid 1930s. He then had labouring jobs and factory work until retirement.

Dave Swarbrick

My paternal grandfather was disabled by a fall from the cliffs at Bondi as a young child, but he and his brother Capt. L. W. Elliott - ex 57 battalion AIF - both went into the family companies of G H Elliott Aerated Waters and Cordials in Melbourne, Australia.

My maternal grandfather Valentine Mannes was a POW then returned to farming in Gippsland, Victoria.

My paternal grandfather was a chauffeur before the war - drove buses in the ASC throughout the war. Dont know

what he did after the war, the maternal side of the family didnt have anything to do with that side of the family as far as I know.

My maternal grandfather was a grower in Jersey (market gardener) after he left the RGA in 1910. He resumed this occupation

after the war in Jersey and also in Australia in 1925 after migrating here. Was still working at it when he died at the age of

83 in 1951.

David

Grandad Albert was a carter before joining the RFA as a mounted driver in 1915. After demobilising in 1919 he worked for a brewery in Birmingham, looking after the dray horses.

John

• 2 weeks later...

My grandfather was a painter who, after the war, returned to the trade. My dad says pop was one of the few who rubbed the gold leaf on the embossed ceiling at the R.C.Basilica in St. John's Newfoundland. A lofty feat!

thanks,

shawn

After serving in the 5th Lancers from 1908 - 1919, my great uncle joined the fledging Irish Free State Army which he served in for 4 years, upon leaving he was a Regimental Sergeant Major. After that he joined the Merchant Navy and served right through until the end of World War Two. He had a son who died from T.B. when he was 15 and had another son who served in the Royal Navy (serving on HMS Escapade and who was killed in the Battle of the Atlantic during World War Two). He was actually killed when a cluster of Hedgehog mines exploded onboard during the pursuit of a U-boat. He was one of a number of men who lost their lives. He is commemorated on the Littleborough war memorial.

Full story here: http://naval.review.cfps.dal.ca/archive/11...l1num1art10.pdf

After the war, Patrick Emerson emigrated to Littleborough, Lancashire and ran a working man's club until he died in 1963.

George Henry Tickner before the war was gardener & bricklayer - After being discharged in 1918 (effects of gas), he retreated to his small cottage in the heart of the Surrey countryside. Upon his return a few local gentry built him a small shop near the cottage where he became the village cobbler.

It was in this small shop that he sold cigarettes & sweets and repaired shoes. George married Harriet and had three sons Ernest, Henry & Alec (my father). Henry died and was baptised on the same day at just 8 days old.

The shop and his old cottage are still there today, but the shop lies empty (a small 8' x 8' timber framed unit). George died in the mid 50's after being bed ridden for several years from the effects of the gas inhilation. George & three of his brother's all served during the war one of whom was killed in action. George never spoke of his war and I never met him, but his legacy continues.

G. H. Tickner RFA

Nelson Tickner RASC

Albert Tickner RFC

Mornington Tickner Coldstream Guards KIA 15.09.1916.

Regards

• 4 months later...

Hi One was a real estate agent ,before and after he was to old to join up

Thre other was a master carpenter ,brillant at it .At start of the war he was called up and fought with the other team (boche,fritz,hun you get the idea ) he was gassed once and wounded 1 time but surived good thing or i would not be writing this.After the war back to carpentry.

regards

MC

• 1 month later...

Just wondering? What did those you research do for a living before enlisting? On the attestation papers for those in my family, there was a painter, a gasfitter and a steward. After the war the painter returned to his old job, the gasfitter tried a stint on a sea-going vessel before passing away in '23. Unfortunately, the steward never had the chance to return.

shawn

Well I have found carpenters , gardeners, laborers a lot,manchester merchant ,Sailor , Butler,unemployed , heaps really

MC

Two "Tea Grocers" - one my uncle, the other his cousin - neither survived.

Amongst the others : Tailor, Labourer, Porter, Clerk, Seaman, Regular soldier.........

They came from all walks of life.

With the old County Gaol here closing in 1916, due to a lack of inmates - many having been released early into the army; I've often wondered how their occupation would have been noted on their Attestation papers.

I hesitate to mention this in case I am thought to be chasing members away but there is already a thread of some 9 pages covering this. So successful in fact that it is to be found in the Classic Threads section.

Failing to be chased away, I only have two family members that I know of that I have researched. Occupations: 1 - Solicitor, killed in action. 2 - Architect, returned to practise after the War.

Jim

Perhaps I'll see if the Techie (Les) can integrate this with the other topic Tom pointed out in Classics.....I should know better than to start a thread without searching for previous ones! :blush:

• 1 year later...

Fascinating thread folks. Well done to all.

My maternal grandfather listed himself as a printer at his attestation. I found out through his school's honour book he worked for a company called Griffiths Bros. All my searches for Griffths Bros. Printers came to nothing. All I ever found was a Tea, Coffee and Cocoa firm. I didn't make the connection until recently when I saw an article on the Powerhouse Museum site detailing a Tea container and flyer printed by Griffiths Bros. It all seems so simple now but I could not see the truth for a long time. Many Australians over 50 will have some idea about Griffiths Tea especially if they travelled by train.

Jonathan

My paternal Granddad was a gamekeeper in Dalnaspidal, Perthshire before WW1. After the war, he moved to Tighnabruaich, Argyll to get married to his ex-soldier pal's sister and become gamekeeper at Glen Caladh Castle's estate. My Gran was cook at the castle. Later, when my Dad was born, he took the post as gamekeeper at the Ronachan Estate, Clachan, Kintyre, Argyll. Off-duty, he loved competition clay-pigeon shooting and won many prizes locally. He also played the button box well and was offered a recording contract, but declined as it would have clashed with his job. In early WW2, he was to be enrolled as a part-time special constable, but I don't know if he took on the post, as I understood he was in the local Home Guard. Due to failing health, he resigned his gamekeeping job, retiring to Kirkmichael, Perthshire, where my Gran took on a boarding house. Granddad died in 1947.

My maternal Granddad was a mechanic/fitter in Musselburgh, Midlothian, before WW1. After the war, he resumed his job but later became a driver for a local business. He was a keen player of the bagpipes, which he had learned in the army. He also loved his green-bowls. In WW2, he joined the local Home Guard. He retired after the war, dying in 1954.

• 2 weeks later...

My Great Grandfather worked as a labourer with his father he then saw service first at Ypres was wounded got a blighty,and when fit was sent to the Somme which sadly he did not return.

Paternal Grandfather (Harold Faulder): Woollen manufacturer (Huddersfield, then Peacedale RI, returning on the Lusitania), Y&L Regiment (WF), KIA 26/04/1918

Paternal Grandmother (Marjorie Fell Lendrum): married during the war, widow for rest of her life, d 1963

Maternal Grandfather (by adoption - Everard William Willett): Barrister (London), ASC (Mespot), after: Barrrister (Singapore), then Solicitor (London), ARP Warden WW2, d 1964

Maternal Grandmother (by adoption - Elizabeth Ann Williamson): Daughter of industrialist and disqualified MP, d 1984

Maternal Grandfather (genetic): Accountant, Infantry, after: Policeman then accountant (also served WW2), d 1950s

Maternal Grandmother (genetic): born shortly before WW1, after: Shopworker then Nurse, later married, d 1990s

Pre enlistment (1916): bank manager (Bank of New South Wales, Echuca-Moama, Victoria, Australia)

Post Armistice (1919): bank manager (Bank of New South Wales, Swan Hill, Victoria, Australia)

• 3 months later...

My great grandfaher was a minning engineer, and was down Pretoria Pit a week before the disaster there. Needless to say he was unwilling to go back into that career so he saet up Bolton Engineering Services