Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Gallipoli maps

munce

Does anyone know which map sheets available in the PRO cover the Krithia part of the Cape Helles sector (esp Nov 1915)? Although there are some explicit titles for the maps, others are more cryptic, such as 'Artillery map Z 2018', etc. As I don't have very long to rummage around there, I would appreciate some help.

There is a 1/20,000 Krithia sheet, but that normally doesn't have trenches printed on it; they are often over-written with the details. There were few Gallipoli trench maps as we know them from the WF (some were mere banda-copied type things), and the PRO/IWM don't seem to have a 'full' set, whatever that is!

I have a copy of the Kritihia sheet if you want any references looked up?

THere are some useful maps in H.W Nevinson:

The Dardanelles Campaign pub 1918 including one showing all trenches

in the southern zone of the Peninsula (inland from X, Gully and Y Beaches.

It includes both French and British trenches with their names. Other maps show the trenches inland fron Anzac and Suvla.

Ron

Thanks for the info, Paul and Ron. There's nothing I want looking up specifically, I'd just like to get a copy of a trench map of the area. I'll see if I can get hold of The Dardanelles Campaign book Ron mentions.

• 5 years later...
I have access to the maps from the Gallipoli volumes of the Official History, if that's any help.

Jim

Are you still there? If so, does the Official History have any maps or trench maps for the Suvla Bay / Scimitar Hill area?

John

Michael

That was absolutely invaluable - very many thanks. As a matter of interest are the images in the 2 threads from OH, Nevinson or Westlake? The reason I ask is that it could save me having to organise an inter-library loan.

Reverting to the Dec 07 thread, I wonder if 'edorc' might have mistaken the actions of the 5th Dorsets in the Hill 60 area on 21 Aug with those of The Queen's Own Dorset Yeomanry on the same day at Scimitar Hill. My father was with the QODY at Scimitar Hill but acting as a stretcher bearer on that particular occasion. So I got to hear about it all at first hand, but I have only recently started to attempt to 'forensically' reconstruct it for myself in its time and geographical setting. So once again, many thanks for all your help.

John

quote: are the images in the 2 threads from OH, Nevinson or Westlake?

John,

The B & W maps are from the book Official History of the war, Military Operations, Gallipoli, Vol.II [iSBN: 0-901627-84-4 (that's the IWM version, the US ed. has a diff. no.)]

The coloured maps are from the CD Rom, Military Operation, Other Theatres 1914- 18 MAPS available from the Naval & Military Press

edorc had a man killed on the 21st Aug '15 somewhere between Aire Kayak and Susak Kuyu. The latter does not appear on the first map but does on the second. The Hill 60 map was introduced to cover this aspect.

regards

Michael