Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

President II

lindajr

I have just downloaded my grandfather's WWI record from archives on line and wonder if someone can interpret an abbreviation for me. The first line lists Pembroke III which thanks to your site, I have been able to find information about. The second line, President II, is in 2 parts, the first C. Palace which I believe is Crystal Palace and again I found information about this. The second part is H'holme or W'holme and I don't know what this stands for - can anyone help?

Thanks in advance

lindair,

Welcome to the forum,

President II was an accounting base

PRESIDENT II, Chatham/London/Shrewsbury Accounting Base. In 1916 included Dunkerque, Calais, and Hendon.

Regards Charles

Thanks for your prompt reply Charles.

I did see information about President II but it's the "W'holme" or H'holme" part that I need interpretation for - can you help with that. Thanks again, Linda

Royal Naval Air Station Killingholme ‘opened July 1914 some land plane use, but mainly seaplane & flying boat base' from: Ray Sturtivant & Gordon Page Royal Navy Aircraft Serials and Numbers (Air Britain, Tonbridge. 1992)

Horatio,

Good shot, If I stand on the wardrobe in the front bedroom I can see it! Killingholme was also a base for destroyers, Admiralty fueling depot and Battery.

Regards Charles