Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

John Walkingshaw , Royal Irish Rifles

eltoro1960

Hi there I trying establish where this man resided if possible, it a pretty unusual name in most parts, but not in my neck of the woods, Newtongrange. There were also another family of Walkingshaws in Gorebrige up the road, they lost a son serving with the Cameronians, the Newtongrange family lost a son in the Royal Artillery. Any help appreciated.

Medal card of Walkingshaw, John

Corps Regiment No Rank

Royal Irish Rifles 18-1062 Private

He would appear to be the only one in the British Army.

Just noticed the MIC of this man

Medal card of Walkingshaw, Francis

Corps Regiment No Rank

Royal Irish Rifles 18-1061 Corporal

Hi John,

Walkingshaw would be a name around Co. Down in Ireland - I was at school with a couple of them, but I don't see any in the lists I have of the 13 RIR. But if anyone has details of other Battalions he might show up there.

Sorry I can't be of more help.

Peter

Thanks guys, it looks like you are both on the right tracks, I found these men on the Covenant site.

Walkingshaw John ,Leggygowan Saintfield Down: East Saintfield Court House Maxwell, David Maxwell

Walkingshaw Frank Shore Street Killyleagh Down: East Killyleagh Cook Hall Nicholson, Martin A Nicholson

Would I right in saying that this was signed prior to 1914? The reason I ask is that a lot of familes moved to Newtongrange in 1913/14 due to the rapid expansion of the coal fields and associated construction work, the Ulster men settled mainly in Newtongrange / Arniston, men from the south tended to be placed in Dalkeith or Rosewell (it was known locally as little Ireland).

The Ulster Covenant was signed in 1912, so he could be your man. The list is very useful for researching people around that time, I find it delightful that I can see both my Grandfather's and Greatgrandfather's signatures rather than just a name listing.

The Walkingshaws that I would have known probably were from around Saintfield or Ballygowan, and Killyleagh isn't too far away. If you check bt.com you'll find there are still some of them around there.

Killyleagh is/was a port town on Strangford Lough and coal would have been brought in to there - don't know where from though - could there be a connection?

Peter

"Killyleagh is/was a port town on Strangford Lough and coal would have been brought in to there - don't know where from though - could there be a connection?"

Peter

A distinct possibility the Lothian Coal Company and it's associated companies exported coal, probably including Ireland as no coal on the island, it was not unknown for the coal boats to come back with cargoes of immigrants, it would appear that the men from the Baltic states who lived in Newtongrange arrived by this way. They were told they were going to the United States and taken to Leith instead where a company man would meet them and offer them work and a house to soften the blow, it semed to work.

Very different with our Celtic cousins who would never fall for that one! There are lot of men in Newtongrange though who enlisted with the Royal Irish Rifles, Royal Dublin Fusiliers, Irsih Guards and one man in the Connaught Rangers. Main Surnames were King , Kerr , Docherty, McKernan,Halliday, Bowers

Richard Walkingshaw had a brother called John Lowrie Walkingshaw who was born in Nov 1899 so he would qualify for the tail end of the war. I notice the one you quote does not use/have a middle name. Can anything be gained from the 18 prefix to his number? Is that the year of enlistment or am I miles off?

Alexander Walkingshaw of Gorebridge fame appears to be unconnected with the Nitten Walkingshaws. I cant find any link there at all.

Keith

Hi Keith

John L Walkingshaw does not appear on the 1920 Voters Roll for Newbattle as he wouldn't be 21 until the November of thay year, you must have had some clan in Abbeyland ...see below :blink:

post-12171-1170434270.jpg

I'm not sure exactly when they went but by 1917 they were living in Co-op buildings, Ormiston

Thats quite a collection of them there. I didnt know there were that many

Keith