Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Sergeant William McEwan

Easy Rider

Please can someone help?

I am trying to make sense of my grandfathers medal card.

I tried reading the instruction on the National Archives on how to interpret... but to no avail.

If my brains were dynamite, I wouldn't have enough to blow my nose! :blink:

I have no idea what it means.

Bloomers

post-16195-1170272714.jpg

Sergeant William McEwan.

Regimental number 13375 (probably a volunteer at the start of the war).

Went overseas to France on 13th July 1915 as a Sergeant.

Discharged. (Released from army, nothing sinister).

The references in the stamped box can be referred back to Medal Roll books stored at the National Archives at Kew which should tell you which battalion he started with.

Steve.

Hello Bloomers

Hang on to your nose and brains! :D

The MIC confirms William's entitlement to the 1915 Star because of his date of entry on 13/7/15 into the theatre of war (F & F) plus the BWM and Victory Medals.

The annotations at the top right are the Medal Roll index refernces which may confirm his Battalion.

The fact that he arrived in France as a Sergeant may indicate that he was some form of instructor involved in training.

Regards

Mel

My GUESS for his battalion would be the 7th (Service*) Battalion Yorkshire Regiment in 17th Division, as his date of transfer overseas ties in with 17th Divisions embarkation to France.

http://www.1914-1918.net/yorks.htm

http://www.1914-1918.net/17div.htm

The 7th battalion was disbanded in February 1918 when the Army was restructured. Where he went after that is anybody's guess at the moment. He also may have moved before that and served in another battalion of the Yorkshire Regiment.

Also bear in mind that the date he went overseas, whilst tieing into a Division transfer overseas, could just be a Draft of a couple of dozen men going overseas at the same time. His Service Records could solve that one should they still exist.

* Service battalion is another name for the "New Army" battalions raised at the start of the war by men answering Lord Kitchener's call to arms.

Steve.

Mel/Steve

many thanks. You know so much, I know so very little.

Appreciate your help.

It does tie in with the only thing I know about my grandfathers military service.

I remember being told by my mother that he was some kind of recruiting sergeant.

And also, my aunty Lille was named after the town 'en France' as apparently, grandad said it was the most beautiful village he'd ever seen.

Many thanks

Bloomers