Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Anyone with Times look-up?

Jonathan Saunders

I came across the story of this woman in AFTER THE BATTLE no 45 (I think) last night.

A serving WAAF, she was mudered by an army deserter in February 1944. Her murderer was Ernest Kemp and he was caught and hung on 6 June 1944 and the significance of that date was the reason why ATB/45 carried an article on the case.

Kemp was born near where I live (Gillingham, Kent) but brought up and lived in New Cross. I also pass to within 100 - 200 yds of where Miriam was murdered (Kidbrooke, s-e London) twice a day when travelling to and from work. Therefore I feel some sort of association that makes me think I should find out more.

I was hoping someone with access to the Times archive could do a look up for me.

Many thanks in advance,

Jon S

post-3871-1170244883.jpg

100 k just isnt enough!

post-3871-1170245250.jpg

Jon,

I don't know whether you are aware, but the authorities forgot to dismiss Kemp from the Army before his execution. Consequently he is commemorated on the Brookwood Memorial (although probably buried in Wandsworth Prison).

Andy.

Ernest Kemp

Poor Miriam, she was only 21, and her last few moments on this earth must have been terrifying.

Jon,

I don't know whether you are aware, but the authorities forgot to dismiss Kemp from the Army before his execution. Consequently he is commemorated on the Brookwood Memorial (although probably buried in Wandsworth Prison).

Andy.

They slipped up with the "Wig Wam Murderer" too, the Canadian soldier August Sangret.

http://www.answers.com/topic/august-sangret

http://www.cwgc.org/search/casualty_detail...asualty=2147975

Jon,

Andy.

Ernest Kemp

Yes he is one of three murderers commemorated at Brookwood - The Royal Navy and the RAF had a policy to discharged murderers before they were hung but not the army. Personally I think there names should be expunged from the Memorial. Kemp was buried at Wandsworth in an unmarked grave and it was this criteria that I believe led to him and the three others having the benefit of their names added to the memorial.

Poor Miriam, she was only 21, and her last few moments on this earth must have been terrifying.

It gets worse Shelley. Miriam was murdered on Valentine's Day. Earlier that evening she had been out in London with her fiance but had missed the last direct train to Kidbrooke hence why she was walking to the RAF base from Lewisham. She was a really pretty, feminine girl, who had just had a really good evening and everything to look forward too. I now realise I travel past where she was killed twice each day and have to say although this all happened over 60 years ago, it still leaves you with a sinking feeling as you approach Foxhole Road.