Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Help for a beginner

kenneal67

Hi all

I am new to the forum and am trying to get my head around this huge expanse of information.

I have been researching my family tree for a few years now and am trying to piece together as much about my grandfather's life in WW1 as I can.

I have his service record but am wanting to know if i can get even more information.

A postcard sent to my grandfather Private 557S Norman Sedgwick was addressed thus; D company, 10 Battalion, Portsmouth Division, Victory Brigade.

Norman's service record has him as being in the MEF and serving at the dardanelles from 28/4/1915. He was wounded and sent of to a field hospital ( in N africa maybe???) and i have a photo of him whislt there with a few other soldiers British and ANZAC troops. Then he returned to the Dardanelles and stayed until the evacuation. Then he was sent off to France.

I am trying to find out where Norman may have actually landed, and I am assuming from what I have read so far that he went ashore at anzac beachhead. After this what I have read seems to suggest that in May he might have been sent to Y beach.

I have no other information about France other than Norman often mentioned the Somme ( he died in 1976 when I was a young boy).

If anyone can offer any help or advice I would be most grateful

Regards

Ken ( Pom residing in NZ)

At the beginning of the Gallipoli campaign the Royal Naval Division was split,

with part, including the Portsmouth Battalion RMLI, going to the Defence of Anzac

They landed there on the 28th April 1915 which ties in with the record which you have

on the 12th/13th May they were transferred south by ship to rejoin the rest of the Division at Helles

a summary of the RND's history is given here http://www.1914-1918.net/63div.htm

For further details see 'The Royal Naval Division' By Douglas Jerrold

originally published in the 1920s it may be available as a reprint from the Naval & Military Press, or from your local library

a search of this forum should also turn-up plenty on the RMLI and the Royal Naval Division

regards

Michael