Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

1st/7th Bat Northumberland Fusiliers - CSM A E Bone

Paul H

Hello to all,

I am a new member to this forum, and I must say what a great inspiration it has been for me.

For many years I have been interested in the great war service of my Grandfather, and his brothers. They served in the Northumberland fusiliers.

After finding this site I decided to start my research in earnest.

I think its going to be a long haul, but important to record anyway.

One of the only momentos I have is a little notebook that my grandfather had in 1916.

Understandably in pretty poor condition, but it does list a few names, service numbers and platoon strengths. and some brief notes on equipment lists. eg: "3 Mills bombs"

He obviously took the roll call!

I hope to scan this book shortly, and get it into a data table.

Some of you may find the info helpful.

So far I have the following on my Grandfather

1786 CSM Alfred E Bone 1st/7th Batt ( 290225 )

DCM 1916 - also served in Africa pre war.

Any advice on how to get info from the war diary would be great.

Thanks in advance.

Paul H

Paul,

Welcome to the Forum. Firstly I don't know where you live but one thing you can possibly try is getting hold of the "The War History of the 7th Battalion, Northumberland Fusiliers" by Captain F. Buckley through your local library or the interloan service if you don't live in the region. One other publication that is currently being reprinted is the "History of 50th Division" by Everard Wyrall, which will be available through your local library.

Secondly I would be most interested to see scans of the Roll for my records, as I'm always trying to trace former N.F. soldiers. If you can't download them here due to size restrictions would it be OK to PM you my e.mail address, so that I could view them?

Graham.

Paul,

Welcome to the Forum. Firstly I don't know where you live but one thing you can possibly try is getting hold of the "The War History of the 7th Battalion, Northumberland Fusiliers" by Captain F. Buckley through your local library or the interloan service if you don't live in the region. One other publication that is currently being reprinted is the "History of 50th Division" by Everard Wyrall, which will be available through your local library.

Secondly I would be most interested to see scans of the Roll for my records, as I'm always trying to trace former N.F. soldiers. If you can't download them here due to size restrictions would it be OK to PM you my e.mail address, so that I could view them?

Graham.

Graham,

Hello, and thanks for responding.

The historys you mention sound as though they are exactly what I need to see.

I will certainly contact my local library and see if they can help ( Darlington , County Durham )

By all means PM , and when I have got the scans you can take a look at them,especially if they can help other familly historians in their searches.

In fact by great coincidence; after registering with the forum I looked on the "Tyneside- scottish" site.

Just browsing the photos really; when I came upon one of which I think may include my grandfathers brother, William Bone ( the photo was entitled "Sgt Graham and squad" )

Serendipity, I think!.

Anyway,I need a bit more evidence, but it has certainly spurred me on.

Paul

Paul

Hi I run a web site on the 7th NF

http://www.fairmile.fsbusiness.co.uk/7thn_f.htm

which may contain a wealth of information that will interest you. I too would be most interested in the notebook, and would love a copy when you are ready.

Graham is right about Buckley's 7th NF History, but it is a scarce book. Another scarce book is a small novel written by Buckley about his experiences, called Q6a and other places. I have a copy, but you can download it now here:

http://www.archive.org/details/q6aandotherplaces00buckuoft

It is a fabulous read, and although written by an officer, and is not relevent to the experience of a private, it gives a good flavour of what they were up to.

There are more 7th NF related books, one is The Somme 1916, by Norman Gladden, and not too hard to find, this book gives a more realistic and uninformed narrative, but none the less interesting.

There is more reading, like the 50th Div history etc, but the above will no doubt get you started.

I will send you a PM with my e mail, feel free to ask more.

All the best

Guy

Paul

Hi I run a web site on the 7th NF

http://www.fairmile.fsbusiness.co.uk/7thn_f.htm

which may contain a wealth of information that will interest you. I too would be most interested in the notebook, and would love a copy when you are ready.

Graham is right about Buckley's 7th NF History, but it is a scarce book. Another scarce book is a small novel written by Buckley about his experiences, called Q6a and other places. I have a copy, but you can download it now here:

http://www.archive.org/details/q6aandotherplaces00buckuoft

It is a fabulous read, and although written by an officer, and is not relevent to the experience of a private, it gives a good flavour of what they were up to.

There are more 7th NF related books, one is The Somme 1916, by Norman Gladden, and not too hard to find, this book gives a more realistic and uninformed narrative, but none the less interesting.

There is more reading, like the 50th Div history etc, but the above will no doubt get you started.

I will send you a PM with my e mail, feel free to ask more.

All the best

Guy

Hello Guy,

What an excellent site. Thanks for the links.

I have certainly got a lot of reading to do. Not that thats a hardship as I am always looking for an interesting read, especially about The Great War.

My hope is to try and track and record my grandfathers service and find out where he was and what his pals endured.

Cheers

Paul

Paul

I'm about 4 years in front of you :lol:

This link about my Captain Odell will give you most of the 7th NF Links.

http://www.fairmile.fsbusiness.co.uk/odellbert.htm

As Brigade Signaller, he was where your Grandad was.

Though the 7th left the 50th Division prior to their decimation on the Aisne in 1918. Buckley's is the best account of what the 7th did.

Here is my web page about Buckley himself.

http://www.fairmile.fsbusiness.co.uk/buckleyfrancis.htm

Guy

Here is his DCM Citation if you don't have it:

London Gazette 11-3-1916

1786 Company Serjeant-Major A. E. Bone, 1st/7th Battalion, Northumberland Fusiliers, T.F.

For conspicuous bravery and devotion. In the absence of any superior officer, Serjeant Bone was of the utmost assistance to his Platoon Commander, and by his bravery and example he kept the men together and encouraged, them to advance. Later, by excellent shooting, he prevented the enemy from placing a machine gun on their parapet during our advance, thereby saving many lives.

http://www.gazettes-online.co.uk/archiveVi...;selHonourType=

Steve.

Here is his DCM Citation if you don't have it:

London Gazette 11-3-1916

1786 Company Serjeant-Major A. E. Bone, 1st/7th Battalion, Northumberland Fusiliers, T.F.

For conspicuous bravery and devotion. In the absence of any superior officer, Serjeant Bone was of the utmost assistance to his Platoon Commander, and by his bravery and example he kept the men together and encouraged, them to advance. Later, by excellent shooting, he prevented the enemy from placing a machine gun on their parapet during our advance, thereby saving many lives.

http://www.gazettes-online.co.uk/archiveVi...;selHonourType=

Steve.

Steve.

Many Thanks

Yes I had a clipping of it.

This citation is the very thing that has got me here

Paul

Have found out that one of My grandfathers brothers - Corporal William Bone - is Buried at Oviller cemetary.

He was in the Tyneside scottish, and was killed 1st July 1916.