Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

etaples cemetery

Stuart Roper

I don't know if I imagined this but some time ago I remember reading that a wife visited her husband at Etaples, he was suffering from the outbreak of Spanish Influenza. His wife died and was also buried at Etaples.....I think I read this on the silent cities website?

Am I losing the plot or do any pals know of the story; I am off to Etaples for the first time in March and am intending to visit many of the womens graves for the first time.

Any suggestions for other graves worth visiting?

Took me a little while to track it down, but here it is. It’s in Lyn Macdonald’s Roses Of No Man’s Land.

“Sister Mary McCall, QAIMNS:

“One particularly tragic case I remember was a little girl, a very young bride, who’d been brought out to see her wounded husband. She had probably caught the infection before she left, because not long after she arrived in the ward she collapsed and was taken to the Sick Sisters’ quarters with influenza. She died a day or two later and it was terribly tragic for the poor husband. Then later he caught it and died too.”

(Mrs Florence Grover, aged 21, is buried in a war grave in Etaples Military Cemetery, Plot I, Row C, Grave 1. Private Albert Grover, aged 23, who died three weeks later, is buried in Plot XLVII, Row E, Grave 5.)”