Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Wedding of a Leeds "Pals" Officer

harkerr@btinternet.com

Ok, there may be some wizardry with his regt. number I can perform and his date of enlistment etc - maybe some wider background info./context I can provide.

re: file size, try cutting it right down to less than 100kb - try posting lots of small images in separate posts rather than one huge one in a single post.

OK Simon, here goes:

Part 1

DIARY_OF_JOHN_WILLIAM_HARKERPT1.doc

Hello Richard,

Here's a list of the West Yorkshiremen who had previously worked for Leeds Corporation. Foster is also mentioned, and there is a brief reference to him 'wounded' in Milner on page 152.

Andy, would you check your photos of the Stourton War Memorial to see if a 'H. Pollard' is listed please? He's on the councill employees list, but I'm having difficulty tracing him locally. There's some other 15th Bttn lads here too

City of Leeds Annual Report of the Improvements Committee to the Council [March 1918] 1918-1919 [Leeds Central Library. L352.02 L517]

STAFF

L/Cpl. Harold Coggill [15th West Yorks Regt. Leeds Battalion] K.I.A.

2nd Lt. L. Foster [15th West Yorks Regt. Leeds Battalion] Died of Wounds. St. Wilfred [Pool] Yorks

Pte. Walter Clifford Shaw [15th West Yorks. Regt. Leeds Battalion] K.I.A.

Cpl. W.J. Walker [West Yorks Regt.]

Pte. A. Firth [West Yorks Regt. Discharged Unfit]

Pte. Harry Turpin [2/5th West Yorks Regt.]

WORKMEN

Pte. M. Griffin [West Yorks Regt]

Pte. Joseph Edward Ambler [21st West Yorks Regt.] K.I.A.

Pte. H. Pollard [10th West Yorks Regt.]

Pte. J. Campey [West Yorks Regt.]

Please see also:

City of Leeds Annual Report of the Electricity Committee to the Council [March 1919] 1918-1919 [Leeds Central Library. L352.02 L517]

The number of employees of the Department who took up active service with His Majesty’s Forces during the War was 170, and it is recorded with deep regret that the following sacrificed their lives:

A. Banks……………Outdoor Labourer [1 of 2 WYR]

J.W. Bogg………….Substation Fitters’ Labourer [2nd NF 21350]

Mark Bogg…………Meter Fixer’s Asst. [1st WYR 8559]

A. Bowers…………..Outdoor Labourer [1 of 2 WYR]

Harry Burniston……Draughtsman [15th WYR 15/64]

Edward Farr………..Fitter’s Labourer [Poss 2nd WYR 17096]

G. Gibson………….Outdoor Labourer

A. Grant……………Outdoor Labourer

C.E. Hart…………..Works Labourer [1/8th WYR 19861]

A.B. Hutchinson…..Asst. Meter Repairer [RE 72553]

G.W. Jackson……..Meter Inspector

J. Jackson…………Meter Inspector

A. Johnson………..Works Wireman’s Asst.

H. Lightfoot……….Stoker

G.E. Lord………….Outdoor Labourer

C. Vickers…………Meter Inspector

W.A.R. Skirrow…..Junior Draughtsman [1/4th W Riding Regt. 260009]

H. Osborne………..Outdoor Labourer [Poss 1/7th WYR 270012]

J. Padden………….Outdoor Labourer [1st WYR 4/6876]

J.W. Simpson …….Outdoor Labourer [1 of 2 WYR]

J.E. Smith…………Works Wireman’s Asst

J.N. Sen……………Asst. Mains Engineer [15th WYR 15/ 795]

John Patrick Manley……Outdoor Labourer [10th WYR 10976]

R.E. Nicholls……………Meter Fixer [10th WYR 43170]

Employment has been found, according to promise, for all those who have applied for it upon their return to civilian life.

Regards to All,

Dave

Ok, there may be some wizardry with his regt. number I can perform and his date of enlistment etc - maybe some wider background info./context I can provide.

re: file size, try cutting it right down to less than 100kb - try posting lots of small images in separate posts rather than one huge one in a single post.

Part 2

Part 3

DIARY_OF_JOHN_WILLIAM_HARKERPT2.doc

DIARY_OF_JOHN_WILLIAM_HARKERPT3.doc

Part 4

Part 5

Part 6

DIARY_OF_JOHN_WILLIAM_HARKERPT4.doc

DIARY_OF_JOHN_WILLIAM_HARKERPT5.doc

DIARY_OF_JOHN_WILLIAM_HARKERPT6.doc

Hi Chris

In your excitement with the find you missed part of your web address

Try this

Regards

Andy :D

Hi Andy,

Oh Bu**er!

Thanks for the correction.

Regards

Chris

Hi Andy,

Oh Bu**er!

Thanks for the correction.

Regards

Chris

You're welcome

and I have to say it's a great site, I wandered around it for over an hour last night - looking for lads from the Leeds Pals.

Regards

Andy