Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

HMS ALERT

kin47

Hello

Can anyone fill me in on the activities of HMS ALERT in Mesopotamia in 1916? She has a number of deaths through the second half of the year. Some are as Turkish POWs and others from sunstroke which may have been sustained as POWs.

I know ALERT was not lost during the war, so I am at a bit of a loss why so many men fell into Turkish hands.

Any illumination would be appreciated.

All best

don

Hello

Can anyone fill me in on the activities of HMS ALERT in Mesopotamia in 1916? She has a number of deaths through the second half of the year. Some are as Turkish POWs and others from sunstroke which may have been sustained as POWs.

I know ALERT was not lost during the war, so I am at a bit of a loss why so many men fell into Turkish hands.

Any illumination would be appreciated.

All best

don

Whoops, Don, I'll learn how this site works in due course. Sorry about the "blank" message.

See http://fwaterfield.tripod.com/hmsalert/alert.html

It seems that the vessel to which you refer was the eighth HMS Alert, and that she was engaged in the suppression of gun-running activities in the Persion Gulf from about 1910 onwards.

Perhaps the owner of the web-site I've given above might be able to give you a lot more information. I'm a mere landlubber!

In 1915 the sloop ALERT was fitted out at Bombay for service as a base ship for the Naval rivercraft on the Shat-el-Arab. She seems to have spent 1916 at Abadan being involved with the manning, storing and fitting out of newly-built gunboats, moving to Basra in 1917.