Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Help with RGA MIC please

Richard242

Hi all,

Can anyone help me with this medal card please. I am particularly interested in determining which battery my relative belonged to. Of course, any other information the brilliant members of this forum can give would also be welcome.

Cheers

collins.doc

Hi all,

Can anyone help me with this medal card please. I am particularly interested in determining which battery my relative belonged to. Of course, any other information the brilliant members of this forum can give would also be welcome.

Cheers

Welcome.

looks like 54th Anti aircraft Company. Hopefully an expert will be along soon.

stevem

Hello Richard

You are very fortunate in having a MIC for the RGA that actually identifies the unit as well as provides the dates of enlistment and discharge.

The next step is for you to either visit or engage a researcher to establish whether the service records exist amongst the lucky 30%.

If you search the main forum index for anti aircraft, you will find several threads on mounted and field units.

I am guessing but I assume the RGA anti aircraft units were deployed to protect the RGA's HAGs (Heavy Artillery Group). If this is the case then you will need to establish which HAG the 54th Anti Aircraft unit was attached to. I suggest that you post a thread on the UNits and Formations section under the title Artillery Anti Aircraft and see if you can attract the attention of the artillery buffs for advice.

Regards

Mel

I'm not familiar with the RGA, but since his MIC does not have campaign medals on it, it is possible that he was in the UK during the war defending against Zeppelin and Gotha raids.

The SWB Medal roll book at the National Archive will have a column in it to reflect whether or not he served overseas.

Steve.

In November 1916 the first 3in 20 cwt transportable guns arrived and an AA Artillery Group Headquarters , with one for the Lines of Communication. Each group was commanded by a Lt. Col. New style 'lettered' batteries were formed, with a variing number of sections in them. 54 Section was part of 'R' Battery and was armed with 13pdrs, and were part of the Second Army.

Jophn

Hello,

Thank you all for your excellent responses.

Stevem - Yes must be Anti-Aircraft, only someone as daft as me wouldnt realise that there were such units during this war (after all there were spotting planes and bombers).

Mel - have taken your advice and posted to units section to see what info I can glean.

Steve - Its possible service was in this country - but family history asserts that this person was gassed so probally served over seas. (this is not to say that other family stories i have heard are that reliable).

John - wow, where did you find all this info? im still trying to make sense of it all.

in short, thanks again everyone.