Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Hms Hampshire

markinbelfast

I've some wood from the HMS Hampshire made into a clock complete with engraved plaque....was there much of this that went on with downed ships?

cheers

Mark

As far as I am aware there are not many examples of something as large as a clock particularly from lost vessels, although there are the numerous small barrels from a variety of RN vessels.

I know of three clock cases that were made from teak salvaged from HMS VANGUARD. If my memory serves me correctly, this teak was bought up by an official RN diver who had to go down to the wreck shortly after her loss in 1917 in the waters at Scapa Flow. He had one clock, the skipper of his vessel had another and the third went to the RN carpenter (I think).

The HAMPSHIRE was lost in very deep and dangerous waters off Marwick Head. I have not heard that she was ever dived on by RN divers after her loss. If she was, then perhaps the same history attaches to yr clock as those made from the wreck of the VANGUARD, otherwise it would almost certainly have to be a pre-war article. Does it have any provenance?

Mark

The following is a sentence from a letter written by Admiral Beatty to his wife on 28th March 1917:

"I am sending you some curious things made out of some wood that was washed ashore from the wreck of the Hampshire......."

Unfortunately the copy of the letter does not say what the dots stand for.

Myrtle

HMS HAMPSHIRE

You can see the clock here as I sent the pics of to a website...the clock is on the memorablia section...it takes some time to load...or maybe its just my connection!

cheers for the replies so far

Mark

It is also perfectly feasible that the wood did, indeed, come from the Hampshire but not from the wreck. Rather, it was wood that was removed and replaced during repair/refitting and was then fashioned into curios and memorabilia items after the sinking. The same thing has been done for many other ships and is still done today. If you go to the shop in Portsmouth Dockyard you can buy wood from the 'Victory', and I have a keyring, with COA, that was fashioned from material from the 'Cutty Sark'.