Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

WWW.I ARRAS

MAYWOOD

THIS IS MY FIRST TIME ON THIS SITE LOOKING FOR INFORMATION ON MY GRANDFATHER.

HIS RANK WAS, LANCE CORPORAL, NAME. WILLIAM THOMAS PRICE.SON OF LOUISE PRICE .

ST LUKES.CLERKENWELL.LONDON.HIS REGIMENT 3rd Coy.17Div.Train Army Service Corps. NO.2015740

DIED OF ACCIDENTAL INJURIES.HE IS BURIED AT THE CEMETRY FAUBOURG D`AMIENS.ARRAS.

I WOULD BE MOST GREATFULL FOR ANY FURTHER INFORMATION REGARDS THIS REGIMENT,I HAVE VISITED THIS CEMETRY ON MANY OCCASIONS WITH MY FATHER,HE WAS JUST 3 YEARS OLD WHEN HIS FATHER DIED,I AM AT PRESEN READING THE BOOK, CHERFUL SACRIFICE, THIS GIVES QUITE A LOT IF INFORMATION BUT NOT FOR THE MONTH OF AUGUST.

A quick check on CWGC brings up this:

PRICE, WILLIAMS THOMAS

Initials: W T

Nationality: United Kingdom

Regiment/Service: Army Service Corps

Unit Text: 3rd Coy. 17th Div. Train

Date of Death: 15/08/1917

Service No: T2/015740

Additional information: Son of Mrs. Louise Price, of St. Lukes, Clerkenwell; husband of Frances Price, of 28, Canrobert St., Bethnal Green Rd., London.

Casualty Type: Commonwealth War Dead

Grave/Memorial Reference: V. J. 18.

Cemetery: FAUBOURG D'AMIENS CEMETERY, ARRAS

I guess this is your man ?

Hi May and welcome to the forum. As you know J. Nicholls' book deals with the Battle of Arras which ended in July,1917. I have looked in the Official History for 1917 and the only actions mentioned in August are those of 3rd Ypres. The other end of the British line from Arras. 17th Division is mentioned but only in October as part of Passchendaele. It rather looks as though your grandfather was one of the 'day to day' casualties and not lost in a named battle. If he was fatally injured in an accident, that may be mentioned in his unit's war diary. Perhaps one of the ASC experts can provide more specific information.

HI TOM

MANY THANKS YOUR REPLY,MY GRANDMOTHER FREQUENTLY STATED THAT HE WAS KILLED IN FLANDERS,NOT THAT SHE EVEN KNEW WERE FLANDERS WAS,SHE RE`MARRIED BUT WHEN MY GRANDADS PHOTO WAS SHOWN TO US THE ARGUMENTS STARTED,AS FAR AS WE WERE AWARE HE WAS INJURED WHILST TAKEING SHELTER,BUT LIKE MOST INFORMATION IT IS ONLY HEARSAY,APPERENTLY HE RECEIVED A MEDAL BUT THIS DISSAPERED,SOMEBODY BORROWED IT TO SHOW RELATIVES IT WAS NEVER RETURNED,MY NAN WAS OBVIOUSLY UPSET AND I HAVE TRYED TO FIND CONFIRM IF TRUE,BUT IT IS LONG GONE NOW. PATRICK

A quick check on CWGC brings up this:

PRICE, WILLIAMS THOMAS

Initials: W T

Nationality: United Kingdom

Regiment/Service: Army Service Corps

Unit Text: 3rd Coy. 17th Div. Train

Date of Death: 15/08/1917

Service No: T2/015740

Additional information: Son of Mrs. Louise Price, of St. Lukes, Clerkenwell; husband of Frances Price, of 28, Canrobert St., Bethnal Green Rd., London.

Casualty Type: Commonwealth War Dead

Grave/Memorial Reference: V. J. 18.

Cemetery: FAUBOURG D'AMIENS CEMETERY, ARRAS

I guess this is your man ? HI MANY MANY THANKS, CORRECT THIS IS GRANDAD PATRICK

HI TOM

MANY THANKS YOUR REPLY,MY GRANDMOTHER FREQUENTLY STATED THAT HE WAS KILLED IN FLANDERS,NOT THAT SHE EVEN KNEW WERE FLANDERS WAS,SHE RE`MARRIED BUT WHEN MY GRANDADS PHOTO WAS SHOWN TO US THE ARGUMENTS STARTED,AS FAR AS WE WERE AWARE HE WAS INJURED WHILST TAKEING SHELTER,BUT LIKE MOST INFORMATION IT IS ONLY HEARSAY,APPERENTLY HE RECEIVED A MEDAL BUT THIS DISSAPERED,SOMEBODY BORROWED IT TO SHOW RELATIVES IT WAS NEVER RETURNED,MY NAN WAS OBVIOUSLY UPSET AND I HAVE TRYED TO FIND CONFIRM IF TRUE,BUT IT IS LONG GONE NOW. PATRICK

Oops, sorry Patrick. Your Grandad would have received campaign medals and also a larger bronze plaque. Refer to the mother site through the link at the top of the page. You can download details of his medal entitlement if you wish. Have you looked at his death certificate online? This might give you some more information. In his job with ASC he would have been subject to more or less constant threat from artillery The Germans costantly and methodically fired on approach roads and dumps, as did our artillery in return.

Oops, sorry Patrick. Your Grandad would have received campaign medals and also a larger bronze plaque. Refer to the mother site through the link at the top of the page. You can download details of his medal entitlement if you wish. Have you looked at his death certificate online? This might give you some more information. In his job with ASC he would have been subject to more or less constant threat from artillery The Germans costantly and methodically fired on approach roads and dumps, as did our artillery in retur

HI TOM MANY THANKS FOR THE INFORMATION I AM VERY GREATFULL,IT IS NICE TO RECEIVE AND HAVE MORE UNDERSTANDING OF THE CONDITIONS,ALLTHOUGH I HOPE WE NEVER SEE THIS AGAIN IN OUR LIFETIME,I WILL TRY THE LINK.ONCE AGAIN MANY THANKS. REGARDS. PATRICK