Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

The Pimple May 7

Eceabat

Pals,

Hoping someone could help with a query about activity at The Pimple on Second Ridge close to Lone Pine on the night of May 7. Turkish records show there was a Turkish raid in this area that night, with losses of about 50 men. However, Bean doesn’t seem to refer to it, though mentions a patrol by the 4th Bn the following night, with the loss of one man killed and another taken prisoner. Of course, Bean was at Helles at the time with the Second Brigade but usually he covered events, however small, even when he was not near the scene of action.

I was hoping to confirm which Australian unit was holding the Pimple at that time (I think it was the 4th) and if there was any mention in unit histories or material held by Pals that may make mention of the Turkish raid.

Thanks for any help offered.

Cheers

Bill

Bill,

Volume II 'The Story of ANZAC' Chapter III, from page 65 onwards

goes into some detail regarding the activity in this area at that time

however I have been unable to find mention of a specific Turkish 'raid'

though mention is made by Bridges [6th May] of increased Turkish trenching here

To deal with this, 8th Battery was placed in the trenches at the Pimple at that time

see page 70 - a lot of detail re this point, but no mention of Turkish activity [or raid] beyond the trenching

regards

Michael

Michael,

thanks for that. Yes, I had looked at Bean for both the patrol activity on May 8 and the 8 Battery. What is interesting is that in Turkish reports for the night of May 7-8 there is a quite detailed account of a raid near the Pimple, with the young officer in charge being highly praised. He later rose to the rank of General (promoted 1940) and was awarded for his bravery in the Turkish War of Independence (1919-22). It is strange that I have yet to find any mention in Australian records, or at least the few I have at hand here in Turkey, of the raid. Maybe something else will turn up.

Cheers

Bill

Bill,

the 2nd Battalion held the area at the time in question. No Turkish raid is mentioned in the history of the unit, but the following is noted: "On May 7, the battalion sector was shelled heavily, and on the night 7th-8th there were ten casualties from rifle fire."

(Taylor, F.W. & Cusack, T.A. Nulli Secundus. A History of the Second Battalion, A.I.F. 1914 - 1919, Sydney, New Century Press, 1942. p100).

Two 2nd Battalion soldiers were killed in action 7-8 May.

The 3rd Battalion, which was on the left of the 2nd does not mention the 7th-8th May at all in its history.

The 11th Battlion, which held the line to the right of the 2nd Battalion, also mentions no raid.

Bryn,

just the stuff I was looking for. This one is a bit of a puzzle, as the Turkish records show quite heavy losses in the sector at that time. You'd like to think the Australian troops would have noticed.

I wonder if the reference to 10 casualites from rifle fire may have been linked to the raid. Ten casualties does seem a bit high if there was no action. We may be on to something here.

The 4th Bn must have come into the line sometime as it was involved in the patrol on the night of May 8 (Bean, vol II, p 55, Qld Uni edition) in the sector.

Thanks for the help

Cheers

Bill

Bill,

If I have read it correctly, then that was just a little to the north

the next page [56] mentions Sergeant Scott plus 7 men of the 2nd attempting a patrol from the Pimple

regards

Michael

Bill,

Here are pages 100 and 101 scanned from the 2nd Bn history: Notice it does state (early on -101) that patrols were frequent from both sides and caused casualties.

"100 NULLI SECUNDUS

... water and disported themselves like children. Although a few wells had been sunk in the gullies, most of the water was towed in barges from Malta and Alexandria, pumped into tanks on the beach and then carried in tins up to the line. One day during the heavy shelling of the beach, Pte. Parsons distinguished himself by rescuing a wounded man.

Up to this time bombs had not been regularly issued, and the garrison set about contriving some effective counter to the Turks' missiles. Pte. Daley constructed a bomb from a shell case filled with explosive and shrapnel bullets, with a cordite fuse down the centre and a wire handle attached. It was heavy and could not be thrown far, so was consequently voted a failure in spite of the loud noise it made. Later experiments with jam tins along the same lines, however, proved more effective.

Work on the defences proceeded steadily, and men worked cheerfully, erecting overhead cover and improving communications so that supports could be rushed up if required. On May 7, the battalion sector was shelled heavily, and on the night 7th-8th there were ten casualties from rifle fire. On the night 8th-9th Wallack made a reconnaissance, and later a fatigue party of eighty helped the 8th Battery drag a field gun into position close to the line, pulling it along a road which they had cut along Victoria Gully and then parallel to the line, and which was known as Gun Lane.

Shelling was again heavy on the 9th, resulting in one man being killed and eight officers and men wounded, the officers including Stevens, whose place as adjutant was taken by Lieut. Harrison. That night C.S.M. Scott took a party of seven on patrol carrying four bombs. Three of the bombs were successfully exploded, and the party withdrew safely under heavy machine gun fire.

Slight incidents varied the monotony of existence, such as the firing of 700 rounds in bursts on the night of May 10-11, and enemy retaliation on Browne's gun,

when they put one shell through the shield and three into the pit. A diversion was also caused by the report that enemy carrier pigeons had on several occasions been seen to fly up from a position in front of our line.

Capt. I. G. Mackay, 4th Battalion, was sent with a patrol of twenty men to investigate. The Turks spotted and shelled the party heavily, causing serious casualties, and it was later discovered that the birds were native doves. Both sides were active with small patrols, and nearly every day brought its small quota of casualties. On May 11 the strength of the Second was twenty-one officers and 565 other ranks.

On the night 11-12 a combined patrol demolition party from the Second and 3rd under Sgt. Collingwood (Second) and Pte. Hummerstone (3rd), consisting of seventeen men from the two battalions and accompanied by three sappers carrying a 121b. charge of gun-cotton, set out to reconnoitre and to destroy an enemy work in front of the position. After a tedious crawl, information was obtained and the charge successfully exploded. Collingwood covered the withdrawal and received two shocks-one when he found himself lying on a dead Turk, and the other when he found that he was crawling along with his torch switched on.

At this time a conference of generals held at Second headquarters dealt further with the question of artillery support. It was then decided that when an infantry commander required artillery fire to be directed on special targets he should notify the artillery commander, who, after consultation with the engineers, would arrange for a gun or guns to be placed in position to deal with the target, the infantry to supply necessary working parties. The work of pushing out saps from the front line was continued, and saps Nos. 5 and 6 from No.1 subsection (D Coy.) were commenced. The versatile quartermaster, Whyte, was ..."