Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Army Form B129 - Drunkeness

Jarvis

Researching 2nd Lt CW Raine and have many docs from NA to delve through.

One which has me puzzled at the moment is B129.

Dated 5/11/1915 before Charles William Raine was promoted from a private.

question 1

This form appears to be an offence sheet, in particular it appears to deal with the offence of drunkeness. In this particular case under the column Offence is written 'Temporary'.

Temporary Drunkeness ? Or was this form also used for other purposes ?

This form is stamped as 8 Coy 3rd Bn DLI.

question 2

From my research into 2nd Lt C W Raine I have him as 3rd Bn Duke Of Wellington's (West Riding Regiment)later attached 16th Lancashire Fusiliers.

Is it now possible he was originally DLI, perhaps before any promotions ? The DLI was a common enlisment for local people here.

I still have many docs to study (close to 60) but I am not yet experienced in this 'black' art.

Any comments aprreciated, particularly from seasoned researchers.

Me again... I've been continuing my research today on Charles William Raine and just been struck by the horrors of it all (1914-18).

He died on 04/11/1918 - a week before the war ended.

Just been browsing through the paperwork (photographed) I have.

His family were sent a telegram informing of his death on the 12/11/1918.

On the 11th I expect they would have been celebrating the end of the war and the next morning.... they are informed their son is dead! Incredible.

Just as poignant the next piece of paperwork I look at is the Effects Form 126A.

Posted on 23/12/1918 and apparently signed by his father on Christmas Day 25/12/1918 and returned to the (I presume War Office or Regimental HQ) and duly stamped on the 30/12/1918.

The effect of this left me speechless for some time.

Looks like he was commissioned into the Special Reserve of the West Riding Regiment :

War Office,

13th February, 1918.

SPECIAL RESERVE OF OFFICERS.

The undermentioned, from Officer Cadet Units, to be 2nd Lts.: —

30th Jan. 1918.

W. Rid. R.—Charles William Raine.

http://www.gazettes-online.co.uk/archiveVi...;selHonourType=

Steve.

Many thanks for that Steve - I have paperwork to that effect but had not got around to the Gazette yet.

I have now substantiated he began army life in 8 Coy 3rd Bn DLI. moved on to 3rd Bn Duke Of Wellington's (West Riding Regiment) and later attached 16th Lancashire Fusiliers. I appreciate the Gazette work you have done for me.

Researching 2nd Lt CW Raine and have many docs from NA to delve through.

One which has me puzzled at the moment is B129.

Dated 5/11/1915 before Charles William Raine was promoted from a private.

question 1

This form appears to be an offence sheet, in particular it appears to deal with the offence of drunkeness. In this particular case under the column Offence is written 'Temporary'.

Temporary Drunkeness ? Or was this form also used for other purposes ?

This form is stamped as 8 Coy 3rd Bn DLI.

question 2

From my research into 2nd Lt C W Raine I have him as 3rd Bn Duke Of Wellington's (West Riding Regiment)later attached 16th Lancashire Fusiliers.

Is it now possible he was originally DLI, perhaps before any promotions ? The DLI was a common enlisment for local people here.

I still have many docs to study (close to 60) but I am not yet experienced in this 'black' art.

Any comments aprreciated, particularly from seasoned researchers.

Hi,

You have me completely intrigued by Form B129. I have obtained a copy of Form B120 (Regimental Conduct Sheet). My Gt Grandfather ,bless him! on 3 June 1915, at Tidworth, was absent from Tattoo "until apprehended by Military Police at Kennington Road Police Station" I presume drunk, but no mention is made of this. I suppose if it was anything more serious it would have been a different charge. Anyway, as it is around the time of your chap's B129 form, could it be a misprint or smudge? The conduct sheet has the following columns: Place, Date of Offence, Rank, Offence, Names of Witnesses, Punishment, Date of award or order dispensing with trial, By whom, Date of Commencement, Date of Expiration, Remarks. On the top left hand side of the form it says "Forms B120, 33" The zero does actually look like a nine from a distance. The same form do you think?

At work at present but will follow up this post later this evening. I will endeavour to reduce my B129 to a size that will fit on the forum. I (possibly) also have a B120 - I need to check at home to be sure.

The B129 merely states 'temporary' leaving me to guess at what - drunkeness - soberness - ?

That would be a good charge 'temporary soberness'.

This sounds similar to the B/122 form, or 122/1,/2 etc. Seems there was another. Will be interested in seeing it.

Kevin

The 'offending' paperwork - had to reduce and greyscale to get it on the forum. Is this a similar form to what you have ?

post-15884-1170094072.jpg

I especially like the title 'Punishment awarded'. I guess you got awarded for being drunk. that's one way to get 'em over the top.

I have checked your link to the B122 - indeed very similar.

The form I posted clearly states B129 on the extreme right of the page. I take that back - after much maginfication - (Doctor my eyes) - It is indeed B122

I had seen the posting you 'linked' for me a while ago...it's grown a bit. There's a web site in the making just from Army Forms and examples. Thanks for the interest.

Now I'm back to 'what was the temporary for' ?

No offence recorded, no witnesses, no punishment. ???