Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Austro-Hungarian sub sinkings of Franco-Italian warships with large lo

John Gilinsky

I am aware of three major French or Italian warships sunk in 1915 by Austro-Hungarian submarines,viz.:

1) FRENCH "Leon Gambetta" (built 1901) Cruiser 12,300 grt sunk by AH sub U5 in Straits of Otranto night of April 26-April 27, 1915

2) ITALIAN "Amalfi" (built 1908) Battleship or [ heavy / armoured? ] cruiser 10,000 grt sunk by AH sub (?) in Upper Adriatic Sea July 7, 1915

3) ITALIAN "Giuseppe Garibaldi" (built 1899) Armoured cruiser 7,234 grt sunk by AH sub off Cattaro July 18th, 1915

Does anyone know of excellent web sites, contemporary news articles in detail, or official reports on the sinkings and the aftermaths of same?

Apparently in one of the cases above the Red Cross flag(s) was allegedly abused by survivors.

Thanks,

John

Toronto

ALL languages (French, German, Italian and/or ENGLISH)!

The Armoured Cruiser AMALFI was sunk by UB14 which was actually a German submarine - the only Austrian on board was the pilot. The submarine was listed in the Austro- Hungarian navy as U26 to get around the problem of Germany and Italy not being at war.

John

There's information on the three ships in 'Dictionary of Disasters at Sea' I could send if required.

Regards

John

]

You can hold off for now since I do have access to this book as well but thank you for your kind offer. What intrigues me are the allegations of misconduct of abuse of the Red Cross insignia and / or flags during or after the sinking(s). I think it must be one of these ships but I am NOT sure which one! I hope someone can clear this up!

Tx

John