Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Agnes Emily Hill

snavek

Miss Hill survived the War and figures in the Parish Memorial I am researching. I found her m-i-c at Kew which recorded her entitlement to the Victory and British medals, and if I interpreted it correctly her date of entry was 10-15. Unfortunately her records are not at Kew, it was suggested I try the British Red Cross. They have now informed me that although they don't have her records a Miss A. E. Hill does appear in the list of British Subjects in France during the First World War in Binyon, Laurence, Account of Britain's Aid to the French Wounded and Victims of the War,1918 London, Hodder and Stoughton.

It's not a book I recall from any booklist, can anyone tell me if it is readily available please.

Keith

She does indeed appear in the list in Binyon. If you care to tell me the reference on her MIC which should be something like FRX 101B 234,

I may be able to tell you where she served.

Binyon does occasionally show up in book lists. Try ABE or similar on line booklists.

Apart from the list of names in the back of the book, there are almost none mentioned in the text, though there are descriptions of the various hospitals and units.

Norman

Norman, thank you for that information and your offer of a look-up. Her MIC was a little faded but for both medals I could read FRX/101 (then something that looked like /B3, but that's only a guess) and then page 161. The entry for her Theatre of War appeared to read 1a.

I will try a search for the book this evening.

Keith

She served at the Urgency Cases Hospital. This opened at Bar le Duc near Verdun in March 1915, using a wing of the Hopital Central in the town. Moved to and empty chateau "Faux Miroir" , Revigny (Meuse) in August 1915. This had been the HQ of the German Crown Prince.

Hope this is helpful.

Norman

Norman,

Thank you, that's more than helpful! It's opened up a whole new line of enquiries which I've already started to follow up.

Lyn Macdonald's 'The Roses of No Man's Land' features a letter from Winifred Kenyon who was working as a voluntary nurse at the Chateau near Revigny, plus a picture of one of the wards.

A website details how women met the trains at Revigny Station looking for donations to support the Red Cross whilst another suggests that by the time the American's got to the area in September 1918 Revigny had a Base Hospital No. 83 for Ordinary Sick and a Evacuation Hospital No. 15.

I now need to find out some more about the lady herself. She was the daughter of a Suffolk Parson, 50 years old when the war began and as far as I can tell had no nursing experience. So how on earth did she join the French Red Cross and what would she have done?

Keith

Thanks Christina, I had a quick look at Sue's site this morning but couldn't see anything about the French Red Cross, I'll either P.M. her or post a message on her website.

Keith

Forum members have come back with some very useful information about Miss Hill so far, so now I'll try to broaden my search.

How difficult was it for British Ladies to join the French Red Cross? Did applicants have to have a French connection or sponsorship from a French associate. Did she have to speak French and/or have nurse training because the 3 censuses between 1871-1891 show she lived with her parents at home, all 3 girls had governesses in 1881. the 1901 census reveals she was still single and living with her brothers. None of the later censuses list an occupation for her.

Keith