Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

French 31st Infantry Regiment.

trenchtrotter

Hello,

Can anyone tell me which Division this Regiment were with and where they served between 14-18?

Thankyou

TT

Apwright,

Many thanks...its a start and most helpful

TT

The 31° Régiment d'Infanterie spent the entire war with the 10° Division d'Infanterie, which spent the entire war with the 5° Corps d'Armée.

The 5° Corps d'Armée spent the first two years of the war (until the middle of June 1916) with the Third Army. After that, it moves around a bit.

Hoplophile,

Many thanks. I have a unit history on the American Voluntary Ambulances that mentions treating wounded soldiers from the 31st during the French assault at Verdun in Aug 1917. Can you confirm if they were there as the post from apwright gives a link which seems to indicate they were not at Verdun in 1917.

As always grateful

TT

Dear TT,

You are quite welcome.

The 5° Corps d'Armée was with the Tenth Army throughout the month of August 1917. Unfortunately, I don't have my maps handy, so I can't tell you where the Tenth Army was!

Best wishes,

Bruce

PS: My source for all of the handy-dandy French order of battle - I should probably write 'ordre de bataille' ;) - information is http://toaw.free.fr/afgg/

http://www.chtimiste.com/

31ème Régiment d'Infanterie

En 1914; Casernement : Paris, Melun, fort de Romainville ; 20e Brigade d'Infanterie 10e Division d'Infanterie 5e Corps d'Armée

Constitution en 1914 : 3 bataillons À la 10e DI d'août 1914 à nov. 1918

2 citations à l'ordre de l'armée, fourragère verte ; voir les citations

1914 Meuse (août) : Troyon, Maucourt, Billy-sous-Mangiennes Cutry, Réhon, Noers (23-24/08), Merles, Sivry, Apremont, Fossé (31/08), Imécourt Bataille de la Marne (5 au 13 sept.) : Villers-au-Vents, Laheycourt, Louppy-le-Château, Avocourt (21-22 sept.) Argonne (sept.-janv.) : Cheppy, Pierre Croisée, Haute-Chevauchée, le Bas-Jardinet, La Bolante, ravin des Meurissons

1915 Argonne (toute l'année) : Vauquois (16/02), Boureilles, bois Noir et de la Barricade

1916 Argonne (janv.-juil.) : bois de la Barricade et bois Noir Somme (sept.) : bois de Saint Pierre Vaast Aisne (déc.-janv.) : Ailles

1917 Aisne (fév.-avril) : bois des Buttes chemin des Dames : Route 44, Bois des Buttes puis jusqu'en janv. 18 :bois de Beau-Marais, bois des Buttes

1918 Oise : ferme du Bois-Brûlé, bois de l?Höpital, Fréniches, Rézavoine, Lagny, Le Plémont (22-29 mars) Alsace (avril-juin) : Manspach, Carspach Champagne (juil.) : ferme de la Monnaie, Fabert, bois du Génie Champagne (oct.-nov.) : moulin Merlet, Pignicourt, Proviseux, Nizy Ardennes (nov.) : Maranwez, Logny

10ème Division d'Infanterie; http://sacarcheo.nuxit.net/regiment/10eDI.PDF