Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

soldiers photo ww1

jabs

Hi,

Hoping someone can identify what regiment/area this soldier who I believe could be my grandfather,or stepgrandfather as both served in england and france during ww1.

Cant quite work out the cap badge, hoping someone here can please.

regards , johnpost-18280-1169697315.jpg

I'm not sure it is an Army Cap Badge it looks every bit like an Antique Swift/Swallow Brooch,possibly worn "unofficially" as he'd lost his Cap Badge??

Similar to the one below:~

I'm not sure it is an Army Cap Badge it looks every bit like an Antique Swift/Swallow Brooch,possibly worn "unofficially" as he'd lost his Cap Badge??

Similar to the one below:~

Hi,thanks for your reply.

Some friends of mine thought it might be a deers head with a leaf behind it am also wondering what the thing is running through the shoulder down the front of him like possibly a leather strap or bag perhaps.

Can you tell me if the uniform is consistent with a british issue? I ask that because my step grandfather was a new zealander who served in france; metren I believe, the new zealand army did not recognise the insignia, some also said it could have something to do with the sherwood foresters if there was such a unit.

regards, john

my immediate thought with one eye closed and squinting is Newfoundland Regt...but its wrong way round

Mick

my immediate thought with one eye closed and squinting is Newfoundland Regt...but its wrong way round

Mick

Hi mick,

Dont think that would be right; but my aunty when she was alive thought he had something to do with carrying messages either by bike or motorcycle which he could well be sitting on when the photo was taken as he seems lower than the guy next to him

regards john.

I suspect that it is a stags head on a scroll but that the angle is tilted towards the camera giving it an odd perspective.Stags heads are often associated with units with a Scottish connection. The soldier looks like he is wearing standard British service dress although something about the buttons suggests regimental rather than general service buttons. He appears to be wearing the 1903 pattern 5 pocket bandolier which was a means of carrying rifle ammunition. Bandoliers were commonly worn by mounted personnel such as drivers messengers etc I think it is the 5 pocket version because of the distance it has slipped down his chest without catching on his shoulder strap (cavalry etc had a 9 pocket rather than a 5 pocket version.) This woudl fit in with the story that he may have been a despatch rider. Joe Sweeney could tell you what date the Service dress is likely to be The pattern changed a number of times during the war at one point being simplified to aid rapid production and can sometimes be used to help date a picture.

Greg

I suspect that it is a stags head on a scroll but that the angle is tilted towards the camera giving it an odd perspective.Stags heads are often associated with units with a Scottish connection. The soldier looks like he is wearing standard British service dress although something about the buttons suggests regimental rather than general service buttons. He appears to be wearing the 1903 pattern 5 pocket bandolier which was a means of carrying rifle ammunition. Bandoliers were commonly worn by mounted personnel such as drivers messengers etc I think it is the 5 pocket version because of the distance it has slipped down his chest without catching on his shoulder strap (cavalry etc had a 9 pocket rather than a 5 pocket version.) This woudl fit in with the story that he may have been a despatch rider. Joe Sweeney could tell you what date the Service dress is likely to be The pattern changed a number of times during the war at one point being simplified to aid rapid production and can sometimes be used to help date a picture.

Greg

Hi greg,

now thats really interesting because I found details on his sons death certificate during the war with the argyll sutherland highlanders and also seaforth highlanders showing as the regiment he was in, could he have been in this unit and still worn that uniform.or the other possiblity is that the person is my stepfather,and he was posted to france as a new zealand soldier serving in england.

Wonder if anyone else has any thoughts.thanks for your input

regards, john

Hi,

Hoping someone can identify what regiment/area this soldier who I believe could be my grandfather,or stepgrandfather as both served in england and france during ww1.

Cant quite work out the cap badge, hoping someone here can please.

regards , johnpost-18280-1169697315.jpg

Have you looked for his MIC that will give the regt(s) he served with.

Jon

I think we're only seeing the top part as the rest is tucked under the band on his cap. Can't tell you what it is though....

Steve.

Hi

Could it be a Hertfordshire Yeomanry badge that has the bottom leaf broken off? I'll try and attach an image of the badge I mean.

Regards

LIT

post-7254-1169721134.jpg

I think we're only seeing the top part as the rest is tucked under the band on his cap.

I think we are still looking @ a Swallow!!! :blink:

Hertfordshire Yeomanry was my initial thought on seeing the "Prongs",but a distinct body line of the bird ccan be seen,if you "follow the Swallow" from tail feathers to beak,along with swept back wings,I'd put ££ on it!!

Scottish Regiments would normally wear a ToS or Glengarry,not a Field cap.

Have you looked for his MIC that will give the regt(s) he served with.

Jon

Hi jon,

I'm looking at two possibilities; one is that it is my step grandfather who served with the NZ forces in ww1 and was sent to france to places which included metren etc; and the other which seemed the more likely considering the uniform, was my real grandfather who I have found out have records for him in the 19 lndon regiment as a reserve, then showing him with the argyll and sutherland highlanders then seaforth highlanders; as far as I know he was not scottish. My dilemma is that I dont know which one the photo is of.

regards ,john

I think we're only seeing the top part as the rest is tucked under the band on his cap. Can't tell you what it is though....

Steve.

Thanks anyhow steve;

regards john

Hi

Could it be a Hertfordshire Yeomanry badge that has the bottom leaf broken off? I'll try and attach an image of the badge I mean.

Regards

LIT

thanks for that input, but it is not likely,

regards john

I think we are still looking @ a Swallow!!! :blink:

Hertfordshire Yeomanry was my initial thought on seeing the "Prongs",but a distinct body line of the bird ccan be seen,if you "follow the Swallow" from tail feathers to beak,along with swept back wings,I'd put ££ on it!!

Scottish Regiments would normally wear a ToS or Glengarry,not a Field cap.

Hi,

thanks for that. Are you aware of any one that would have a swallow as a badge at all??????? :unsure:

regards , john

No UK Units wore such a Badge,with as "Burd" on it,possibly a NZ unit may have,@ Home.though they would have worn the Crowned & Wreathed NZ General Service badge overseas.

unfortunately I expect it is a Lucky Charm Brooch,worn in his cap,instead of regulation badge,{Possibly just for the photograph~as a bet??}[it is a shame that the rest of the photo{ie the chap next to him @ least} isnt available as that would no doubt give us the answer!].

No UK Units wore such a Badge,with as "Burd" on it,possibly a NZ unit may have,@ Home.though they would have worn the Crowned & Wreathed NZ General Service badge overseas.

unfortunately I expect it is a Lucky Charm Brooch,worn in his cap,instead of regulation badge,{Possibly just for the photograph~as a bet??}[it is a shame that the rest of the photo{ie the chap next to him @ least} isnt available as that would no doubt give us the answer!].

Thats true indeed. I do have the new zealand badge you speak of for nz but that was someting my step grandfather had and the NZ army couldnt identify the cap badge shown either so it wasnt one of theirs,maybe as you say a badge he put on for the photo.

thanks for your comments,

john