Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Australian Light Horse War Diaries are online

Guest Bill Woerlee

Hi Bill,

Thats just excellent, it will certainly help with the research for my relative who served in the 1st Australian light Horse and who was killed on the 7th of August 1915.

cheers Aaron.

Sgt - later Major - John Boyd MC (Palestine operation).

Ballymena men get everywhere.

:)

post-1582-1169849679.jpg

I see some poor soul at the AWM still has some work to do... they still have 33 of the 35 to go! And I don't think the infantry ones will be small either :blink:

Maybe it should be a work for the dole project!

I see some poor soul at the AWM still has some work to do... they still have 33 of the 35 to go! And I don't think the infantry ones will be small either :blink:

Maybe it should be a work for the dole project!

Not sure what you mean Dave. All the LH diaries appear to be there and the infantry diaries are currently being prepared to be put on line.

Regards

Chris

Not sure what you mean Dave. All the LH diaries appear to be there and the infantry diaries are currently being prepared to be put on line.

Regards

Chris

Umm... well I mean that it is an outstanding resource, and that I think its great work on behalf of the AWM that they have been made available online. A quick look at AWM 4 shows that there are 2 of the 35 classes available.. by no means a slight on the AWM at all, but maybe they need some help in getting the remainder done up, as I am sure there will be a huge demand for them.

Can't wait for the infantry diaries, do you know when they will be available?

Cheers,

Dave

Can't wait for the infantry diaries, do you know when they will be available?

Cheers,

Dave

Dave,

Not for a while. All I know is that they are not available because they are being digitised to go on line.

Regards

Chris

Martin, They may be missing. I found that four days of a particular battle I needed were "missing". They either had not been written up, or the paperwork had gone astray.

Cheers

Kim

Kim,

Comments noted, but it does give an item number for the diaries for that month - just no link. Elsewhere it simply does not identify a file/piece reference.

Martin

Hi Martin,

there were 3 files that did not work for download. One was a link that was not connected and the other 2 did not have a file link or PDF size. I emailed them (AWM) on Saturday.

BTW, its in the mail :rolleyes:

Peter

Sometimes you spot a little gem.

On 1st Aug 1915 Lt Col Arnott in his routine orders for the 7th Lt Horse wrote:

Control of fire, as evidenced by last night's heavy expenditure of ammunition, still leaves much to be desired. Commanding officers are to take immediate steps to impress on the junior leaders that greatest effect is produced only when it is effectively controlled. The normal fire is the troop, and the efficiency of the troop leader is therefore of paramount importance. The value of a fire unit commander depends upon the ability to apply the fire of his unit at the right time, and in the right volume, and at the right target.

Perhaps fellow pals might like to try and precis his guidance to his men?

BTW Peter, Thank You - I shall await with interest!