Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Flight Sergeant T F B Carlisle No 1 Sqn RFC

John S

Any information on Flight Sergeant T F B Carlisle No 1 Sqn RFC appreciated.

I have the info from Sky Their Battlefield, RAF Communiques and Airmen Died (which by the way gives his death from injuries as 8 July 1916 not 8 April 1916 as per CWGC, who I have contacted re this apparent error)

Particularly interested in the action(s) that won him the Military Medal and the cause of his death.

The last action that I can trace is 18 May 1916 when he appears to have been ok after shooting down one enemy yet he dies of injuries nearly two months later.

Regards

John

He probably joined the RFC in 1912. He might have an RAF service record in AIR 79 at Kew, but it's more likely that the records were in the standard army collections WO 363 etc.

Have you looked up his entry in 'A Contemptible Little Flying Corps' (ISBN: 1843420538) by I.McInnes & J.V.Webb?

Any information on Flight Sergeant T F B Carlisle No 1 Sqn RFC appreciated.

I have the info from Sky Their Battlefield, RAF Communiques and Airmen Died (which by the way gives his death from injuries as 8 July 1916 not 8 April 1916 as per CWGC, who I have contacted re this apparent error)

Particularly interested in the action(s) that won him the Military Medal and the cause of his death.

The last action that I can trace is 18 May 1916 when he appears to have been ok after shooting down one enemy yet he dies of injuries nearly two months later.

Regards

John

[/quote

If you can obtain a copy of A Contemptible Little Flying Corp,there are several paragraphs referring to his career,if you cannot hold of a copy,I can P.M. with the details.

Joan

His RAF service record in AIR 79/5 is patchy, has some details copied from his Cas card and Medical History Sheet.

'A Contemptible Little Flying Corps' was reprinted in paperback by Naval & Military Press in 2001.

Thanks to you all for your help. I will try to get hold of the book mentioned and also check the medal role.

Regards

John

Amazon have the book for sale here.

Joan

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Contemptible-Littl...t/dp/1843420538