Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

HM Drifter "Pelagia”

cartoss

Working on a project involving war memorials in parishes covered by our vicar. The plan is write a short booko with a biography of each man. Looking at 11932/DA J TURPIN Deckhand RNVR, who is buried in the churchyard at Sykehouse. It appears he died on 28/11/1916. Can anyone offer info on ship ?

Thank you

A little more information here :

Record Number 3204

Resource Identifier flod27072006021

Vessel Name Three

Fishing Number YH874

Subsequent Names Leal; Thirtyfour; Pelagia

Other Fishing Numbers BCK38; YH415; CE227

Year Constructed 1900

Constructed By Smith's Dock Co Ltd

Constructed At North Shields

Gross Tons 84

Length 80 ft

Beam 18.6 ft

Depth 8.6 ft

Construction Notes Yard No. 633

Date Sunk 28/11/1916

Place Sunk Off Nab Light Vessel

General Notes

1908 Renamed LEAL (BCK38).

1909 Returned to Yarmouth and registered YH415.

1911 Renamed THIRTYFOUR.

Renamed PELAGIA (CE227).

The trawler was mined of Nab Light Vessel.

Early picture of Pelagia as the Three.

post-15884-1169651864.jpg

Hello

Here is the list for the casualties in PELAGIA.

BESSEY JOHN E. DECK HAND, RNR D A 9029 PELAGIA 28/11/16 SHIP LOSS

BOTTON JOHN F. ENGINEMAN, RNR E S 881 PELAGIA 28/11/16 SHIP LOSS

HALDENBY JOHN DECK HAND, RNR D A 11933 PELAGIA 28/11/16 SHIP LOSS

HITTER GEORGE E. TY/SKIPPER, RNR PELAGIA 28/11/16 SHIP LOSS

JERMANY ARTHUR J. TRIMMER, RNR T S 4297 PELAGIA 28/11/16 SHIP LOSS

JERMANY RICHARD S. 2nd HAND, RNR S A 2311 PELAGIA 28/11/16 SHIP LOSS

LINDER CHARLES DECK HAND, RNR D A 8891 PELAGIA 28/11/16 SHIP LOSS

MCLELLAN DUGALD L/DECK HAND, RNR S D 424 PELAGIA 28/11/16 SHIP LOSS

MILLS JOHN T. ENGINEMAN, RNR E S 3751 PELAGIA 28/11/16 SHIP LOSS

ROWLAND JOSEPH DECK HAND, RNR D A 9030 PELAGIA 28/11/16 SHIP LOSS

TOZER JAMES TRIMMER, RNR T S 4500 PELAGIA 28/11/16 SHIP LOSS

TURPIN JAMES DECK HAND, RNR D A 11932 PELAGIA 28/11/16 SHIP LOSS

This thread has gone from strength to strength in just a few short postings.

That makes 12 crew killed (drowned ?).

Any survivors listed anywhere ?

Also any idea of the complement (number of crew) carried by Pelagia ?

This thread brings two of my interests together, as I have often been boat-fishing around the Nab. Next time I go, I'll ask the skipper if he knows the identity of any of the wrecks we fish over — and remember the crew of the Pelagia.

Mick

I am thinking the Nab lightship is off the entrance to Harwich/Felixstowe. Is this correct ?

Reading between the lines it looks like some of the crew were recovered. Will check the rest of the names against CWGC and see how many were buried ashore.

Thanks for all the info on this vessel and crew.

Working off the crewlist published, could not find Mclennan. 6 are listed on Chatham memorial, so preseumably were lost with the ship. The others are located as follows:

Jermany RS Worlingham All Saints Suffolk

Linder North Cove St Botolph Suffolk

Rowland Rushmere St Michael Suffolk

Tozer Aberdeen Nellfield Cemetry

Turpin Sykehouse Yorkshire.

There is only NOK details on 1 of the 2 Jermany's listed but with such an unusual name I presume they were related.

There is also a good, detailed link here to the Nab towers

http://www.findonvillage.com/0707_giants_code_named_mn.htm

In addition trinity House can offer

Nab Tower Lighthouse

Position 50° 40'.05 N 00° 57'.07 W

This light is responsible for guiding ships of all sizes and nationalities into the deep water channel for Portsmouth and Southampton. The story of its strange origin goes back half a century. In the early part of 1918 attacks by German U-boats on our merchant fleet caused the Admiralty so much anxiety that it was decided to take strong, if unorthodox, counter measures and a startling plan was drawn up by "backroom" scientists. This was to sink a line of eight fort like towers (each costing £1 million) across the straits and to link them with steel boom nets, with the idea of closing the English Channel to enemy ships. About 3,000 civilian workmen were brought to a quiet backwater at Shoreham and work began almost at once on two of these towers - each 40 feet in diameter with latticed steel work surrounding the 90 foot cylindrical steel tower and built on a hollow 80 foot thick concrete base designed to be flooded and sunk in about 20 fathoms. The vast honey combed concrete base was shaped with pointed bows and stern for easy towing.

One tower was completed when the war finished in November, and the other half finished giant was broken up for scrap. After much thought it was decided to use the solitary "white elephant" to replace the old Nab Light Vessel by sinking it at the eastern end of the Spithead approaches, also serving as an invaluable naval defence post, if required.

On a calm day in 1920 two paddle wheel tugs towed the tower to a position near the light vessel. There were many anxious moments as the base was opened to the sea, but this brain child of a civilian designer, Mr. G. Menzies, performed exactly as planned and settled without incident, kept steady by the immense volume of water inside the base.

Staffed since 1920 as an off-shore lighthouse, by three keepers who were relieved monthly, the station was automated in 1983 and converted to solar powered operation in 1995. The latter involved the installation of a complete new proprietary lantern manufactured by Orga.

Specifications

Established 1920

Height Of Tower 27 Metres

Height Of Light Above Mean High Water 27 Metres

Automated 1983

Electrified 1920

Lamp 10.4 Watt Incandescent Electric Filament

Character White Flash Every 10 Seconds

Intensity 11,739 Candela

Range Of Light 16 Sea Miles

Fog Signal Character 2 Blasts Every 30 Seconds

Fog Signal Range 2 Sea Miles

I am thinking that the Nab Light Ship was indeed a ship and that the tower(s) were not complete in 1916.

I will do a little more researching on the Light Ship angle.

Hello

McLellan is on the Portsmouth Memorial.

All best

don

Hi cartoss

Have you looked up his Royal Naval Reserve service cards? Copies of which are at Kew in BT 377/7.

I am thinking that the Nab Light Ship was indeed a ship and that the tower(s) were not complete in 1916.

I will do a little more researching on the Light Ship angle.

The Nab Tower is a bit to the north-east of the original position of the Nab Lightship. When it was sunk into position in 1920, it settled with a slight list, which is still evident today — despite the Dole America (a fruit ship) colliding with its base in 1999.

Mick

• 1 year later...

I am also doing some research on HMS Pelagia as at least 6 of those that died lived within a 5 mile radius of Lowestoft. Richard and his brother Arthur are buried at Worlingham Church (Richard's body was never found but the headstone bears his name). Charles Linder, I believe, is buried at North Cove church and Joseph Rowland at Rushmere church (that's Rushmere near Lowestoft, not the one near Ipswich).

Any more info would be greatly appreciated, particularly a photo of the ship.

Thanks.

For the loss of the PELAGIA, a hired drifter, on 28.11.16 the Admiralty casualty list gives the casualties:

BESSEY, JOHN E., DECK HAND, RNR, D A 9029

BOTTON, JOHN F., ENGINEMAN, RNR, E S 881

HALDENBY, JOHN, DECK HAND, RNR, D A 11933

HITTER, GEORGE E., TY/SKIPPER, RNR

JERMANY, RICHARD S., 2nd HAND, RNR, S A 2311

JERMANY, ARTHUR J., TRIMMER, RNR, T S 4297

LINDER, CHARLES, DECK HAND, RNR, D A 8891

MCLELLAN, DUGALD, L/DECK HAND, RNR, S D 424

MILLS, JOHN T., ENGINEMAN, RNR, E S 3751

ROWLAND, JOSEPH, DECK HAND, RNR, D A 9030

TOZER, JAMES, TRIMMER, RNR, T S 4500

TURPIN, JAMES, DECK HAND, RNR, D A 11932

Best wishes

Davd

Guest david clark

Know this is not directly relevant but thought you would like to know that my first search on this site ,for something not related,came up with the Pelagia,and this drifter was in my great grandfather's ownership as the Leal when registered in Buckie,

Regards

David Clark

• 8 years later...
  • 3 years later...

Hi all

Came across this post by accident.  I am the Great Granddaughter of Dugald McLellan.  I can confirm that the Dugald’s name is on the Campbeltown memorial and also the memorial in Portsmouth.  The only part of Dugald that was found was his torso.  His story is a sad one, he was due to go ashore and work as a trainer however, the week prior to going a shore the pelagia was hit by a mine.  Had this happened a week later, he would have never been on th ship.  To my knowledge there is no headstone  for him.  

• 3 years later...

Was looking at the War Memorial in Brough, East Yorkshire and saw one of the crew mentioned - Seaman John Haldenby. Image attached and hope is of interest. 

IMG_8674.JPG