Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Medic in India?

AndrewBelsey

My Great Uncle Sgt. Frederick R Bones, 62536 was in Poona, India during 1918. He was formerly with the RAMC and then transferred to the Royal Warrickshire Regt. I presume that he carried on in a medical role in the Warricks, as he was in St John Ambulance before and after the war and then worked at Rohampton Hospital. (He did become a PT Instructor in India and the family have several photos of him as a Corporal and later Sergeant, so he was there for some time.)

My question is if he was with the Warricks why was he in India? The nearest battalion (9th) from the Warricks were in Mesopitamia, having in a tough time by the account on this forum. Would he have been looking after the 9th Warrick's wounded, evacuated to India? We have a post card from a friend who was with D Company, 9th Royal Warricks, but it was sent from Belgaum, India 14/04/1918. He too should have been in Mesopitamia? My uncle was demobilised on 20/03/1919, so this was during the war. I would be very grateful to anyone who could confirm or correct my hunches and inform me why my uncle was separated from his unit?