Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Pte 332919 Arthur Horton

Ken Lees

Pte 332919 Arthur Horton, 9th King's Liverpool Regt.

According to SDITGW he died at 'home', 16/01/1918.

Born and lived at Manchester, enlisted at Ashton-Under-Lyne.

I've not come across him on the Medal Rolls or SWB Roll.

I can't find him on CWGC.

Any suggestions as I've drawn a blank with him?

Ken

perhaps he never made it overseas - would explain no medals and why not on the roll

is he not called Arthur ?

still cant see him though on the cwgc -

Thanks Terry.

I suppose that much more evidence of his existence will be required as all I have at the moment is the SDITGW entry.

Perhaps Joe (Promenade) is the man to ask.

Ken

SDGW is no evidence at all due to the errors it contains.

The death certificate may be all you need if he was a serving soldier. If you do get this and want GWF to put his name forward, let me know.

• 4 years later...
  • 3 months later...

Not quite in.

What is misleading about both the SDITGW and CWGC entries is that neither indicates that Arthur Horton was actually a conscientious objector, and did not die 'at home', as SDITGW apparently wrongly states, but in Shrewsbury Prison, where he was serving his third sentence, following his third court-martial. He was diagnosed by the MO on 9 December 1917 as suffering from bronchial pneumonia, but not confined to bed until four days later; he rallied a little early in the new year, and consideration was being given to early release under the scheme for seriously ill prisoners, when he relapsed and died on 16 January. A memorial meeting was held on 25 January, and Parliamentary Questions were asked on 5 February and 4 March 1918.

His grave in Manchester General Cemetery clearly states that he died in Shrewsbury Prison, "A Martyr for Conscience". Ironic that the CWGC records him as "Private, 9th Bn, King's (Liverpool) Regiment", a rank and posting he never sought or wanted.

His name also appears among the first ten (those who died in prison) recorded on the WW1 CO Memorial Plaque, held in the offices of the Peace Pledge Union.