Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

John Bell DLI

cmf

Hi all,

I'm trying to pin down my great-grandfather, John Bell, who was a bandsman in the 9th DLI during the First War, and possibly a Sapper later in the war or postwar TA. Can any good hearted souls do a forensic explanation of the following candidate's MIC. I believe the DLI rgtl numbers given here are those assigned to the 9th DLI.

Many thanks :)

Chris

post-17279-1169477973.jpg

Hello Chris

The MIC looks as if it ties in with your account. The four figure DLI indicates a Territorial and the six figure ties in with the renumbering in early 1917.

The Medal Rolls are from the RE and, therefore, clearly with the RE at the armistice -a transfer from DLI to RE at some point between April 1917 and end of the war.

Regards

Mel

WR/ refers to Waterways and Railways.

These numbers came in, I believe, some time in early 1918. I would guess his transfer would be mid-1918 perhaps.

A non 1914-15 Star and a 4-digit T.F. number should mean that he went overseas some time from 1-1-1916 to 31-3-1917.

The Medals appear to have been returned for adjustment in 1923? Both parts of the Remarks section seem to refer to that.

The men with 6-digit DLI numbers around John Bell's number all have similar 4-digit numbers (some with 9- prefixes) so I would be reasonably confident that he was with the 9th battalion from enlistment to going overseas.

Steve.

Chris

With the return and adjustment of the medals that Steve refers to, it might be worth your securing a copy of the reverse side of the MIC. You may be one of the lucky ones with, for example, an address that you can recognise. For a £5.00 donation to the WFA, the possibility of certainty has to be worth it.

http://1914-1918.invisionzone.com/forums/i...showtopic=67598

Regards

Mel